The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Trd Rad Cap! Any Good?

Guest Gaz Shaw

They are rated to 1.3 bar rather than 0.9 bar.

Increasing pressure in the cooling system increases the boiling point of the coolant. Higher boiling point means that the coolant in the rad is hotter and therefore has a higher differential temperature between that and the air being pulled through it. This in turn means more of the heat is transferred into the air and therefore taken away from the engine.

I thought the stock rad cap was 1.1 bar ?

• 1 month later...

hmmm, interesting reading this. My car has a trd rad cap on, and stock radiator. I think last time I looked coolant expansion tank was empty, which is also a little worrying. :(

Just hope there isn't anything majorly wrong with the car - nothing seems wrong (no overheating etc) but I don't want to push the rad to it's limits as it looks like the original one.

well i think i found a good supra! standard not even air filter has been off! rad looks mint too!

LOL i was only gonna get it to go with my trd oil cap:D

would i benefit from buyin a new rad and this cap?:search:

buy my TT is got a new rad and 1.3 bar cap!:D

Rich

I wouldn't recommend one if you are still using an original stock radiator. The cooling system pressure is raised significantly and in quite a few cars the dreaded hairline cracks have started appearing in the top of the rad a short time after fitting one. This has happened on cars with 10yr+ old radiators.

They're pointless IMO

yep, this is exactly what ruined me at the Nurburgring last year. Blown rad was just the beginning :(

well I've got the rad cap, so if my rad goes I suppose I'll just get an aftermarket radiator then!

TBH I actually thought it was just bling - which is why I thought nothing of it when I bought the car with it on. Will keep an eye on things.

i dont get it, who will ever see the cap or even if they saw it, would be in the slightest impressed anyway? At £20 its hardly an exclusive thing to show off or own. do you pull up next to some girls & open your bonnet... look ladies, a trd rad cap!!. Why is it bling, why bother at all, especially when its no good for your car.

fits into the same bracket as modding your screen wipers, washer nozzles or any other insignificant part of a car. No one will think its cool but you. Exception being a show car thats done from head to toe performance & style, as a finishing touch cause everything else is "bling" :taped: sorry.

• 6 years later...
Can't buy anything these days without checking for past experiances on the forum ;)

I considered this at some point before, damn sales spin makes it sound great :(

Glad i didn't get one :D

Thought I'd quote my younger and possibly more sensible self after searching on the topic. At some point after this post a couple of years later I bought a trd rad cap and fitted it to a new oem radiator. I've not experienced any issues but after a couple of posts recently wondered whether I should move back to stock. Just trying to understand what the actual issues of running the higher pressure is, appreciate hoses could have blown/leak but haven't after 5 years as far as I'm aware. Does this put more strain on the 20yr old water pump? Or would I be best leave alone as is now?

Car is used for 90% track days