DIY Engine build

SimonB

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought the stock fittings were a tad over 10mm which is closer to -10 isnt it?

once you pull the grommet off the plenum side you are left with roughly a -12 hole, i suppose you could use -10 (it would be cheaper :D) but that would only match stock and we are talking about engines shifting a lot more air than stock :eyebrows:

Well, mine are -12. You're right, the fittings are not cheap! I got the engine back in the car yesterday with the help of a couple of friends! Probably the most effort was pushing the car up my sloping drive to get the front of it into the garage and level. Once we (well ok, they :D) had done that I put some moly grease on the gearbox input shaft and slipped on the clutch plate and disc.

Then with the transmission jacked up as high as it would go we lifted the engine in with my crane and manouvered it into position. I then managed to get one of the transmission bolts in and tighten it up to bring the two together, with a fair bit of wiggling and manouvering! Then I removed the jack under the transmission and lowered the engine crane carefully so it dropped onto the engine mounts, not as much of a pain as I thought it might, although having no room either side of the car in my garage is a pain! Didn't take any photos, sorry...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we're getting there now. I've been busy doing lots of jobs before she'll be ready for the big fire up! Quite a few as a result of changing the intake manifold - bit PITA that. Then there's the general refitting of stuff and some other little jobs as a result of changing things while the engine was out, namely:

• I have moved my wideband from the 2nd decat pipe to the bottom of my downpipe, which has a bung for that purpose, and removed the stock O2 sensor which wasn't doing anything.
  • I changed the 2nd decat pipe as mine was pretty rusted and crappy.
  • Because I removed the stock oil cooler (see earlier in thread) I had to change my oil hoses and fittings a bit to reach.
  • I also sprayed by exhaust manifold while it was off with a high temp coating - it was looking pretty tatty!

Here's a couple of pics of the engine in and mostly sorted.

enginein.jpg

enginein2.jpg

Because I changed the intake manifold I had to make up a bracket for the throttle cable - I'm using a Lokar cable. I found a bracket that goes between the throttle body and manifold to which I attached a bracket I fabricated to hold the cable. You can see it in the attached close up from an earlier pic. I also had to drill a hole in the throttle body and tap it 1/8NPT to put a fitting in infront of the throttle blade to go to the power steering idle bypass - the other end goes to a fitting in the intake manifold. The other thing you can see is the intake air temp sensor - I tapped a hole in the TB normally used for the idle control valve on the mustang this TB comes from to bolt that in.

tbcloseup.jpg

To make sure I didn't forget anything I made up a checklist of stuff to do. I'll post it up to give people an idea what I've been up to since the engine went back!

Intake related

make brake booster line & fit

make throttle cable bracket

make throttle cable (i.e. with barrel end)

engine ground straps - fit front, mid, rear

modify bracket for dipstick & fit

install power steering bypass fitting before thottle

fit power steering bypass mani hose

sort out rad expansion bottle

fit throttle cable, trim to length, adjust etc.

Engine Install related

connect fuel hoses

block coolant nipple on head

fit downpipe & gearbox mounting bracket

fit 2nd decat pipe

fit exhaust

bolt up clutch

refit clutch slave cylinder & hose

reconnect boost gauge hose

secure oil filter remote mount

make up new oil cooler hose & fit

change fitting on cooler hose & fit

refit aircon compressor

refit power steering pump, secure hoses to block bottom.

refit aux belt

refit ignitor etc writing

refit boost controller & plumb in

fit intercooler & hoses

fit BOV

refit rad hoses & fan wiring

refit undertray

refit battery

fit airbox & intake

refit fmic plate etc

refit bumper

refit lights

refit bonnet

refit starter & wiring

secure FPR hoses

remember to put sump plug in!

oil filter on

fill with running in oil

refill coolant

Other stuff

make up turbo side heat shield

refit ecu

fit & wire in wideband

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping to fire it up tomorrow. I was going to do it last weekend but had a few problems to sort out. To start with I was getting no power to the ECU. Got the multimeter out and probed around before I discovered I hadn't locked the big orange multiplug into place above the ECU. It was connected but not locked into place.

Then after filling it with coolant and water and checking everything the starter wouldn't turn. This turned out after more multimetering to be a small grey plug on the harness that wasn't plugged in on the left hand side by the ECU - easy to miss as it's hidden by the other plugs and I thought it was the plug for the traction control ECU or something.

Anyway it's all ready now, and re-insured.

It lives! :) Had some problems getting oil pressure to start with, in fact it took most of the afternoon! I ended up using a hand pump to pump oil through the oil lines to my oil cooler (from the oilstat), the return to the block from the oilstat and back up the feed from the block to the oil filter. Having the remote filter, cooler and oil thermostat definitely didn't help. Eventually after a lot of mess and fiddle I got the pump to prime.

It pretty much fired straight up. It runs a little rough - it needs the map tweaking a bit but it's ok on the wideband closed loop on the Motec. I forgot just how much new heatwrap smokes, bit disconcerting having clouds of smoke come out of the bonnet! Took it for a quick shakedown drive, the new clutch is really grabby right now! I need to sort a few things out, I have a couple of coolant leaks from the hose going from the pipe on the block to the heater matrix, plus my oil pressure sensor isn't working, think the plug is connected in wrong. Think the power steering needs bleeeding too. Still, I'm a happy man!

:cool:

Hope it all goes well. What's the running-in procedure going to involve?

Always hard to know which of the contradictory ones to go for! I'm going to do a mixture I think, I'm going to give it progressively more throttle and back off aka Motoman, but no real positive boost. Then I'm going to change the oil and filter after 50 miles or so and drive it with varying throttle and engine load, keeping it off much boost (it needs a remap anyway) and under 4krpm. It needs to be MOTd too.

Always hard to know which of the contradictory ones to go for! I'm going to do a mixture I think, I'm going to give it progressively more throttle and back off aka Motoman, but no real positive boost. Then I'm going to change the oil and filter after 50 miles or so and drive it with varying throttle and engine load, keeping it off much boost (it needs a remap anyway) and under 4krpm. It needs to be MOTd too.

understand you apprehension with the running in Simon i have been looking at this for a while and its hard to know what to do for the best, in one of my tuning books (A. Graham Bell) he mentions about bringing the car up to medium revs then snapping the throttle shut to get the vacuum to make the rings seat, as i've never heard of "Motoman" is this what your refering to

understand you apprehension with the running in Simon i have been looking at this for a while and its hard to know what to do for the best, in one of my tuning books (A. Graham Bell) he mentions about bringing the car up to medium revs then snapping the throttle shut to get the vacuum to make the rings seat, as i've never heard of "Motoman" is this what your refering to

Yes, that's it. It's all over the internet, he basically advocates using first 50% throttle, letting it coast down, then 75%, then 100% (and max rpm too!). To be honest I don't think any of these methods actually makes much difference. You can kind of see the logic behind most of them, even the contradictory ones!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey SImon - glad to see it's all shaped up nicely! Out of interest, what was it you used on the exhaust manifold?

Cheers! It was Tech Line black satin exhaust paint, this stuff:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=NIM1004

Tech Line do a ceramic coating too but that needs baking in an oven.

I've sorted a few things out this weekend. The heater hoses at the back of the block were leaking - I think the rubber had perished a bit and the clamps Toyota use are a bit rubbish too. I replaced the lot with some 16mm flexible silicon hose (15.8mm ID) - this stuff has a wire spiral so it can be bent without collapsing. So now there are just two lengths of this hose, one going from the water pipe attached to the block directly to the heater matrix pipe on the rear bulkhead and the other from the rear of the head to the other matrix pipe. Gets rid of those naff metal joiner pipes at the back, looks much neater and hopefully won't leak!

I also tidied a few other bits up, refitted my stick-on indicator repeaters that are needed for MOT and the air duct to my air box.

The heater hoses at the back of the block were leaking - I think the rubber had perished a bit and the clamps Toyota use are a bit rubbish too. I replaced the lot with some 16mm flexible silicon hose (15.8mm ID) - this stuff has a wire spiral so it can be bent without collapsing. So now there are just two lengths of this hose, one going from the water pipe attached to the block directly to the heater matrix pipe on the rear bulkhead and the other from the rear of the head to the other matrix pipe. Gets rid of those naff metal joiner pipes at the back, looks much neater and hopefully won't leak!

Any pics of this?