The mkiv Supra Owners Club

gt40/88, design problem maybe

gaz1

It seems to me that they are not particularly durable compared with other tubbies like Ian's T67 due to the thinner blades. I guess this is the tradeoff of having a large, relatively quick spooling tubby (low rotational mass).

With a good quality manifold (or cheaper one cleaned properly!) and normal EGT's im sure there would be no issues with longjevity. However a cheap mani with loos welds will probably leave you with the result Ryan had. OR on the otherside of the coin, running antilag and high EGT's will no doubt leave you with Jamie's mess.

The moral of the story...if you want a quick spooling cheapish tubby with a decent manifold then buy a GT4088. However if you want to run anti lag and/or optomistic fuel/timing maps then go elsewhere.

Just my 2p ofcourse!

Guest racing fan

A turbo with exhaust wheel damage like the above pictures is not a failure resulting of turbo design or quality but rather foreign object damage from the motor.

I have not used many GT40 turbos because I do not feel they are well suited to the 2JZ motor.

A T67 DBB with a P trim exhaust wheel would be my turbo of choice for this application and these turbos have performed very well producing excellent performance and reliability.

-zohair jaffery

A turbo with exhaust is not a failure resulting of turbo design or quality but rather foreign object damage from the motor.

So let me get this straight, only a physical foreign object can damage a turbo. Excessive EGT and antilag do not cause any damage.

Guest racing fan
So let me get this straight, only a physical foreign object can damage a turbo. Excessive EGT and antilag do not cause any damage.

Heat can certainly destroy a turbo as well... but from looking at the pictures above, it clearly looks like an object went through the turbine housing and destroyed bits of the wheel. This is most often the cause of a turbo failure when the exhaust wheel is damaged.

I edited my previous post for a more accurate description