The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Beware before you remove your side repeaters

Tee from China

are you seriously saying everyone on the motorway drives properly? look at the number of middle lane drivers you get or people who sit in the outside lane and dont move over.

I use my mirrors a hell of a lot on the motorway and a few times ive moved over to overtake and there has been someone sat behing me who has then given me grief cause i cut them up. Not everyone is a perfect driver. and as my instructor always told you. You cant rely on everyone to be as good as you ;)

You cant rely on everyone to be as good as you ;)

But you can rely on someone to be perfectly positioned to see your side repeater past their own bodywork, looking sideways instead of ahead to see it, and then to have enough time to do something about it in the small amount of extra time they would have over seeing you start to move anyway? I don't think so somehow!

are you seriously saying everyone on the motorway drives properly?

QUOTE]

No mate, I'm not saying that at all.:):)

Just saying if people were to concentrate (which most people don't do), they wouldn't get caught out by the blind spot, that's all.

I've nearly been caught out in the past, only to be saved by that little glance over the shoulder, 'the life saver'. I acknowledged to myself that I simply hadn't been concentrating. I learned from this.:)

Guest dangerousandy

My Starlet GT Turbo (JDM-spec) passed it's MOT today and that does not have side repeaters, but the front indicator units do wrap around and are quite chunky too. If anyone wants to fit side repeaters to their soop, I have a few sets of Genuine Toyota clear side repeaters for sale (see appropriate thread in for sale section - this is not a for sale thread!!!) - make it legal!

I wonder if you were in an accident and the other party was to say it was caused because they couldn't see your indicators what the outcome would be?

The insurance company would laugh at them because an accident cannot be caused by this. Indicators are never considered to be a de facto indication of where a driver is about to go - you can never assume that the indication is correct, and incorrect signalling or lack of signalling will never be considered for insurance claim decisions, I believe.

The insurance company would laugh at them because an accident cannot be caused by this. Indicators are never considered to be a de facto indication of where a driver is about to go - you can never assume that the indication is correct, and incorrect signalling or lack of signalling will never be considered for insurance claim decisions, I believe.

Indeed....but would your car be considered road worthy?

I would expect yes if it had an MOT, I'm just being argumentative.

Indeed....but would your car be considered road worthy?

I would expect yes if it had an MOT, I'm just being argumentative.

Sorry - arguments is next door. It's being-hit-on-the-head lessons in here. :D

Hmm - not sure. I don't think an MOT constitutes proof of roadworthiness - you can do all sorts of modifications to your car after passing an MOT (cats back out, anyone? ;) ).

On top of which, I'm not sure roadworthiness necessarily affects insurance claims, does it? Certainly you could be done by the police for having an unroadworthy car, but I don't think it matters for insurance purposes unless it was the direct cause of the accident.

I think some of you guys are like an ostrich and burying your heads in the sand. Putting cats or side repeaters back on just for the test seems a real PITA ( I know that cats don't affect safety)and as said what if you have a 'biggy' after the MOT and the examiner finds things missing which would/should have had to be present to pass the test which was considered a contributory cause to the accident? What if you cause a 'fatality'? I have known insurance examiners who have made a policy null and void just because the brake fluid was not changed at the correct time and 'may' have contributed to the accident! Times change and so do MOT testers so one that passes your car now is OK but you may find his successor won't! Look at that picture Guigsy has posted and imagine how you'd feel if it was yours just because you took the repeaters off and the other guy didn't see you indicating!:innocent: Just a thought - what about those guys who have taken the third brakelight away - aren't they a legal requirement too?

Just a thought - what about those guys who have taken the third brakelight away - aren't they a legal requirement too?

No they're not.

Pete's right, if one is fitted but not working then it should be an MOT fail, but if it doesn't have one it's not a requirement. The UK cars look like they have one fitted but it's just a dummy, I doubt many MOT testers would fail it on a non-working high level brake light though.

Pete's right, if one is fitted but not working then it should be an MOT fail, but if it doesn't have one it's not a requirement. The UK cars look like they have one fitted but it's just a dummy, I doubt many MOT testers would fail it on a non-working high level brake light though.

Didn't know that - so a UK has just a blank lens then? why no proper light?:blink:

are you seriously saying everyone on the motorway drives properly?

QUOTE]

No mate, I'm not saying that at all.:):)

Just saying if people were to concentrate (which most people don't do), they wouldn't get caught out by the blind spot, that's all.

I've nearly been caught out in the past, only to be saved by that little glance over the shoulder, 'the life saver'. I acknowledged to myself that I simply hadn't been concentrating. I learned from this.:)

Lifesave every time. Works for me. :)

Have you ever had it noise tested? Just wondering how noisy your exhaust / first decat combo is. I can't imaging it's much loauder than stock.

Not picking flies, just wondering that's all.:)

Noise isn't a measured part of the test (yet) the book states that the opinion of the tester counts with regards to noise.

As for no cats, well here's a heads up. On every main arterial route into London and on the north and south circular roads, a new type of camera is/has been installed creating a network of Emissions cameras. They work on ANPR technology and it's believed that there will be charging based in vehicle emissions.

Isn't Britain great? :(

Fair point, re insurance companies trying to wriggle out of claims.:)

Hands up who's car is totally legal (including emissions, noise, no plate position etc, etc) not just MOT'd, but legal as of today?:search:

I am...although emissions through a technicality of it being a VVTi for some reason and not on the MOT database. :shrug:

Lifesave every time. Works for me. :)

Noise isn't a measured part of the test (yet) the book states that the opinion of the tester counts with regards to noise.

As for no cats, well here's a heads up. On every main arterial route into London and on the north and south circular roads, a new type of camera is/has been installed creating a network of Emissions cameras. They work on ANPR technology and it's believed that there will be charging based in vehicle emissions.

I asked the tester about noise at the last MOT. The guy said "no, we don't test it's just subjective". I ask what he thought of mine, he said "sounds awesome to me.....".

I'm interested how they can check emissions with a camera. Probably take years before they get deployed in Norfolk.:)

I think you're referring to the new Low Emission Zone Charge enforcement cameras. They don't monitor emissions, they are straightforward numberplate recognition cameras. They look up your numberplate and see if you have paid the LEZ fee. It applies to heavy goods vehicles and the like, and the idea seems to be that the more emissions your lorry puts out the more you are charged.

There is also a "fake" public consultation proposal on transport for London's site which basically talks about charging everyone depending on emissions, again looking up your numberplates. That doc talks about pre-2001 cars over 3l being classed as the highest band. It's not a real proposal though.

Nothing to do with cats or no cats though, even if it came in it would only be based on what was registered with the DVLA for your car when new.