Ring Master

Well, my poorly supra continues to sit in my garage,

been used just once in 1 year and 2 months  8-(

There's a whole host of things not quite right about it,

such as shame .....

I've asked Chris Wilson to complete the work, but Chris wants

to wait until the AEM ecu is out before fitting the 2835's,680cc

injectors and fixing all the faults.

Does anyone know when this unit will be ready ?

Its driving me nuts not being able to use my supra  8-(

Yours, absolutely totally frustrated and gutted.....

Justin

Is JA not able to finish it off???

Real Shame your car is still off the road :(

What fuel ystem did yu get for it? 680cc is low for the "Big Twins" isn't it??

Last I heard the AEM was out in the Spring...I think Phil Wall was the chap who knew.

Is it not worth going for the MoTeC M48Pro - you know, just to w*lly wave a bit more ;) :biggrin:

Lets hope the AEM is out and the car is ready for 10 of the best.

Jeez - mine was offroad for three months, that was bad enough.  With shiny GT-twins kicking around as well :(  I feel sorry for you, sport.  I thought Ash was sorting it out 110% for you?  Mega head work, proper engine management?  That sort of thing?

Still, I'm glad Chris W is on the case - he'll sort you out with a corking bit of kit at the end of the day...  You do need the aftermarket full ECU with those twins, though.  It will be worth the wait & expense, I'm sure...

-Ian

Cheers Chis, it is SOUL destroying to see the supe sitting there

totally un-usable. Biggest problem is the turbos, somehow

there is no control of boost - hits over 2 bar sometimes then

.5 at others - weird.  The car also shakes at speed, Chris

reckons this is due to a shagged tyre which took a hit in the crash.

Im getting desperate now, cant wait till the spring and cant live

with the lag that Christain has (infact, Chris wont even fit the turbos

without an ECU !!!)

Perhaps I should bite the bullet and buy a motec ????

Justin

Sorry but I dont have an new info on the AEM and its release for the  

Supra.

But it is obiously causing quite alot of other development, everyone with an auto needs to see this.

http://www.supraforums.com/supravb/showthread.php?s=ab0f6952ee00602abecec9b02f125e64&threadid=29570

Five speed auot box for  7000 -800 bhp only works with AEM ecu.

Quote: from Ring Master on 7:20 pm on Mar. 1, 2002[br]

without an ECU !!!)

Justin

Crash?!?!

Can you describe the problems with the boost more accurately - i.e. does #1 turbo boost as expected?  Does it all go wrong when #2 comes online, or is #1 randomly boosting as well?  Does it all go wrong at a certain rev point?

I had to learn all about the sequential setup diagnosing a problem with my new engine, so I might actually be able to help :)

I don't blame CW for not fitting the turbos sans ECU, you wouldn't like it...  The motec is expensive, but it isn't vapourware!  The downside to that is the engine should come out to get it properly mapped, and the first person to do this would be you, so it would cost the most...

But then, once you have the jig, the base map, and the experience, you can rent/sell that on to others following the same upgrade path...  it's a thought...

Are you intending to get the Supe back up and running in it's current state (sequential twins)?

-Ian

Guest Mycroft

I remember reading a while back about the V300 (kinda four door supra' GS300 with the Supra TT engine) it was relaesed with a 5 speed auto, but the guys who couldn't wait for Toyota to get round to this had already done the job, but with the standard Supra box, when they tested the 2 side by side, the 5 speed was slower right thru the range, my experience of 4 and 5 speed boxes also bears this out, for Turbo'd cars I think the gap between 3 and O/D is rather good for accelerating past lorries etc as the whole thing is performed in one gear (3rd) in my car 3rd is good fod 150mph, so for you a real kick along MAY mean the car switching in and out the second turbo slowing the car in that vital move. The 5 speed is only faster if you have TRUE TT operation, if you remain 'Sequential, then the 4 speed is King.

Guest Mycroft

It is faster by dint of the True TT operation, not the 'box!

(All this assuming that I have correctly 'read betweens the lines' that Ringmaster is fitting a 5 speed auto)

(Edited by Mycroft at 8:30 pm on Mar. 1, 2002)

"I think I speak for everyone when I say 'Huh?'"

-Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Mycroft, I couldn't help but think that you've posted this to the wrong forum somehow, or the bbs had gone a bit screwy, but the second message seems to indicate you intended it here...

Aha - I've caught up with a fourth read of the whole thread - Phil Wall's curve ball link :)

The background scenario is - Justin has purchased, in a fit of kit fever, a set of HKS Big Twins (the 2835's he mentions), and a guy called Ash was supposed to be sorting it all out for him, fitting it, etc. (with the stock ECU by the sounds of it...)  But, for reasons we probably don't need to know, the work has instead gone to Chris Wilson, who won't touch it without a fully programmable aftermarket ECU being in the mix.  Which is fair enough.

The autobox thang was an aside, I don't think J is going for one of those (although now you have dangled said carrot :) )

Phew - nearly confused myself then.

As ever, though, good info from Mr. Mycroft!

-Ian

From the Supra forum

"I thought Veilside and HKS were working on F1 style sequential trannys, but rumored to cost around $15k".......

Whoooaaaaa I want one!!!!!!!!!! with 7 speeds :biggrin: just to be annoyingly different! ;)

Glad you mentioned that Alex, I should be going along to the rollers either towards the end of this week coming or the following week with my new fully mappable plug in ECU, should sort a few headaches out for certain people, rough cost should be around £900 - £1000 approx. (not sure yet)exchange plus mapping, although there will be a base map based on my car or a standard car. It will be available for auto and manual, Jap and UK specs and sometime in the future VVTi's as well. I will of course keep you all informed to the progress when I know more.

Quote: from Ring Master on 7:20 pm on Mar. 1, 2002[br]

without an ECU !!!)

Justin

Justin, why don't you get your turbo's reworked as hybrids, that should keep you happy for a while. When and if the AEM ecu hits the market and someone is in a position to get it working on a J-spec car sell the hybrids on.

From what I have heard the chances of you getting a Motec installed and working are pretty remote.

I believe that your car is going to sit in your garage for a very long time unless in the shorter term you go with the more conventional options. Only undertake the upgrade to the big twins when you have confirmation that all the required parts are reliable, supportable and available.

Just my opinion......

Quote: from Adam Wootten on 7:16 pm on Mar. 4, 2002[br]Whats the problem with Motec?  I thought they were really good, I know Chris Wilson likes them.

I might be wrong but I think they are not build for the auto Supra. I wasn't suggesting that there was anthing wrong with Motec products.

You can fit a Motec to anything if you have the time and money !

Motec's are overpriced, over-rated, and not as good as you might think.

No knock control and idle control for starters!

I believe it is possilbe to "piggy back" a Motec with the stock ECU

controlling many of the standard functions, mmmmm......

Paul's "re-mapped" stock ECU is a very good answer; I know,

because I have gone this route with my evo. There is one problem

with this though, it may still be a bit of a problem running larger injectors, we shall see.......

Justin

Quote: from Ring Master on 9:44 pm on Mar. 4, 2002[br]

You can fit a Motec to anything if you have the time and money !

Motec's are overpriced, over-rated, and not as good as you might think.

No knock control and idle control for starters!

I believe it is possilbe to "piggy back" a Motec with the stock ECU

controlling many of the standard functions, mmmmm......

Paul's "re-mapped" stock ECU is a very good answer; I know,

because I have gone this route with my evo. There is one problem

with this though, it may still be a bit of a problem running larger injectors, we shall see.......

Justin

So the fact that Motec is probably the most widely used competition ECU by serious racers worldwide is `cos it's over rated and over priced, ehh ?

All Motec ECU's will run idle control, and some will run a knock sensor, although most competiton engines never use a knock sensor, as they are properly mapped and DON'T knock!

The reason they are dear is their superb freedom from ignition and other interference, superb build quality, easy software upgrades, superbly stable mapping software, and tremendous support from Motec themselves. I have to say fitting ANY competitionstyle ECU to a car with all the none performance ennhancing functions a MKIV has, and getting ECU control of them is pretty much a none starter, but from a pure engine perfomance point of view Motec is the best of the "affordable" ECUs out there.

Motec's get a hell of a slating over on the evo list;

even the rally boys seem to be using Gems now.

Apparantly the processer speed is not in the same

league as Gems/Autronic either.

I know what you are saying about knock control,

but what if you get a bad batch of fuel ?

This is road use we are talking about, not race cars running

non pump fuel.

To be honest Chris, i'll happy to take whatever you recommend

even if it is motec, but I cannee afford £7k for mapping !!!

BTW, one of my customers said he gave you a run for your

money in your RX7 in his evo6....you know Tony Rodriguez ?