The mkiv Supra Owners Club

temted to buy a tt engine from the u.s

supra-lover

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fyi

my aristo engine got shipped from the states by a good friend of mine who buys them from japan, 46K/m motor cost around 1200 quid including shipping and taxes.

his email is [email protected]

name karim, hes a good chap and worth a chat.

hi cheers for that, i'm gonna give jezz a call tomorrow but if i get no joy there i'll flop over a email to this guy :) cheers mate

got quoted on delivery from the us, it was about £600 and would take about 6-8 weeks, so if time's not an issue it could be a viable option. The strength of the pound obviously helps...worth getting on some of the us forums if you're considering it. Only issue is if you have any problems with it, you're a bit buggered being over here, but then you face the same risks buying here.

I would suggest going the route of a known trader over here...Jezz is highly recommended, I'm hoping he'll get one in for me once I've got my funds sorted.

got quoted on delivery from the us, it was about £600 and would take about 6-8 weeks, so if time's not an issue it could be a viable option. The strength of the pound obviously helps...worth getting on some of the us forums if you're considering it. Only issue is if you have any problems with it, you're a bit buggered being over here, but then you face the same risks buying here.

I would suggest going the route of a known trader over here...Jezz is highly recommended, I'm hoping he'll get one in for me once I've got my funds sorted.

yes that would be my best option, getting one from jezz that is,do you know if he can them sharpish or is it a case of waiting till one comes in???

yes that would be my best option, getting one from jezz that is,do you know if he can them sharpish or is it a case of waiting till one comes in???

a bit of both. he's usually pretty fast so i've heard. he already had one in when i called

although i had to wait quite a while for the additional parts to be found

a bit of both. he's usually pretty fast so i've heard. he already had one in when i called

although i had to wait quite a while for the additional parts to be found

alright mate, did you have to give a deposit?? or did you Waite till he had every part in before you picked the lot up??

Isn't Supra-Lover better off getting something like this?

no faffing around (other than selling the NA £3K for quick sale?)

£3k spent, benefits of trying before you buy, Mileage known and lower, various TT as standard benefits abs (not sure if his NA has it?) Diff shocks springs etc all TT spec, resale un affected.......

.......just a thought given the circumstances. If he had a manual car in a rarer colour then i wouldn't suggest this but a Silver auto TT has to be close to the most common supra for sale..........

£3k spent, benefits of trying before you buy, Mileage known and lower, various TT as standard benefits abs (not sure if his NA has it?) Diff shocks springs etc all TT spec, resale un affected.......

.......just a thought given the circumstances. If he had a manual car in a rarer colour then i wouldn't suggest this but a Silver auto TT has to be close to the most common supra for sale..........

I did suggest this to him, even took him out in a stock TT to show him what its all about even with NO mods but I dont think he has the cash to sell his for 3K and pay another 3K on top

abs was standard on the sz-r and an optional extra on the sz, so many have it. i can see what your saying with that, but thats still £3500 grand ontop and i dont think he's budgeting for that, considering all parts needed for his swap can come in well under 2k

You say it affects resale value?

I would of thought if the conversion was done correctly it would be no diferent from saying it was a Rz/gz even if it was originally an Sz/sz-r?

Im hoping to do this soon but if its going to be hard to sell or not increase the value then i dont think ill go ahead with it!;)

I would of thought if the conversion was done correctly it would be no diferent from saying it was a Rz/gz even if it was originally an Sz/sz-r?

Im hoping to do this soon but if its going to be hard to sell or not increase the value then i dont think ill go ahead with it!;)

Any mod really will not recover its value on re-sale IMO, the TT conversion will give you the full TT experience if done right, BUT again IMO I would not go to the expence of buying a TT lump and all the ancilleries needed then the labour to fit and the snagging when you could just sell and get a TT, UNLESS your NA is mint with expensive wheels, bodykit or interior, that may effect the matter somewhat

it will increase the value somewhat. but not to the same price as a genuine TT. just remember any money you spend on your car you wont get back the full amount. but at the end of the day the prices keep crashing and they are beginning to cost pennies so the resale value is going to be shite any way when you come to sell

considering all parts needed for his swap can come in well under 2k

he's going via Jezz it seems so even if he gets as good deal he's looking at over £2K going from your experience?

£3k for his and £6K for the nice looking car in the for sale section

is only £3k on top........so £2250 for the bits and assuming no other cost its only a £750 saving..........over a TT 'from new' car with it seems genuinely low mileage and uk brakes (a £600 upgrade on their own)

In your case a Black TT manual would set you back nearer £9k and this combined with your ability to DIY made it a better option for you......i'm just playing devils advocate just as others did when going NA-T was a plan for the guy :)

hi guys i see what your saying here, i just cant be assed with selling my car, the car is off the road and i am now bombing about in a 1.4 metro lol spoke to jezz today and because it's an auto he said i will need engine gear box prop shaft and diff so it's a rather lot to have sitting in my garden while i find somebody to fit it, 2.5k for all the parts i need so not fu*king cheap at all really and 3.5k if they fit it, BUT i'm gonna save the dosh and just take it in to be done at least i know it will be done properly by a good garage:)

Any mod really will not recover its value on re-sale IMO, the TT conversion will give you the full TT experience if done right, BUT again IMO I would not go to the expence of buying a TT lump and all the ancilleries needed then the labour to fit and the snagging when you could just sell and get a TT, UNLESS your NA is mint with expensive wheels, bodykit or interior, that may effect the matter somewhat

So my 96 Facelift 6 speed N/a converted to a TT with a fmic would be worth how much do you reckon?

I'd hate to spend £2500 on an engine etc, spend alot of time fitting it only to find it would be cheaper to pick up a facelift tt 6 speed for the same price if you get what im saying?

at the end of the day i'm really not interested if it is or isn't gonna be worth doing, i love my car but want a tt engine in it simple as that, i think if your worried about money loss you should never buy a supra in the first place.. once i have the engine in this will be my dream car, so i'm not paying too much for my ultimate car am i :)

So my 96 Facelift 6 speed N/a converted to a TT with a fmic would be worth how much do you reckon?

I'd hate to spend £2500 on an engine etc, spend alot of time fitting it only to find it would be cheaper to pick up a facelift tt 6 speed for the same price if you get what im saying?

depends on colour and mileage

in good nick about 7k i reckon