The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HAUNTED PC computer ???

MONKEYmark

hi sister asked me to build her a computer out of 2 non working computers.

got one up and running. the thing is it turns itself on all by itself. i have never seen anything like this before

its a amd 2000+ with 256 meg of memory 2 hard drives a cd writer and dvd writer

geforce 64 meg gfx, onboard sound. its in a normal atx tower case.

with windows xp professional retail

anyone any ideas what could cause it to turn itself on.

i know of settings for power saving in shutting hard drives down and turning monitors off

thanks in advance

could it be down to windows xp

On some PC's u can set that any key pressed on keyboard turns the PC on. Or set it so if spacebar is touched it turns on. Go hit the spacebar on it,see if it turns it on :D
i know about that but its not been touched at all and it turns on. you can have it turn on with mouse click or network through bios.

keyboard clicks or mouse dont turn it on. just turned it off see how long it lasts before it does it again. its bugging me why its doing it. might have to try a different windows xp

Well if it a hardware problem, u either have.

1. a Fault Power switch

2. A power supply that just wont stay off lol

You could just turn it off and disconnect the Power switch wire to see if it that

Windows doesnt boot a machine, windows is booted once PC is up and running. I would say DOS boots the machine but many PC's dont come with Full and proper DOS now, just parts needed to boot a machine up. So id be surprised if it windows

does it have a modem and is it plugged in to the same phone line as the normal phone? Some modems can be set to do a 'wake up on call' to the machine so when somebody phones the number the machine starts up and can then answer the call (like a fax machine etc).

JB

thanks for replys

turned it off and seemd to stay off for a while then it boots up again. there is no modem connected. just on a fresh install.

have just looked into bios settings

wake up was switched on only on spacebar. all other settings like wake up on mouse and network were disabled.

its AWARD bios

POWER UP CONTROL

ac power loss restart (disabled)

wake up/power up on external modem (disabled)

wake up/power up on ps2 keyboard (space bar)

wake up/power up on ps2 mouse (disabled)

poer up on PCI device (disabled)

think im going to format it and give try another windows xp

will stick up the windows xp media version

thanks for help. just never seen anything like this before. its only a spare computer for sisters kids

thanks for replys

think im going to format it and give try another windows xp

will stick up the windows xp media version

thanks for help. just never seen anything like this before. its only a spare computer for sisters kids

Mark, it's really not going to be the O/S. If you want to prove it, disconnect the hard drive and see if it starts up then. Its more likely a motherboard/PSU fault, if its not an important machine, just remember to switch it off at the mains after closing down.

Its no big deal anyway, my machine(s) run 24/7 with no ill effects (apart from to the electric bill :))

If it's only intended for kids, I wouldn't waste too much time on it, give 'em a couple of weeks and they'll have downloaded so much crap, you'll probably have to reformat it anyway :D

Mark, it's really not going to be the O/S. If you want to prove it, disconnect the hard drive and see if it starts up then. Its more likely a motherboard/PSU fault, if its not an important machine, just remember to switch it off at the mains after closing down.

Its no big deal anyway, my machine(s) run 24/7 with no ill effects (apart from to the electric bill :))

If it's only intended for kids, I wouldn't waste too much time on it, give 'em a couple of weeks and they'll have downloaded so much crap, you'll probably have to reformat it anyway :D

i leave mine on 24/7 too downloading lots of crap :)

just putting on win xp media edition. that one that you can use a remote control to control your films music.

will let you know if it sorts it out.

thanks again

do you get the error message "error: problem with interface between chair and keyboard, please replace user"

hehe :D

j/k

cheeky fooker

i have done loads of computers over the years and never seen that before. been off ages and not come back on.

might also have helped when i cleaned the computer with holy cleaning fluids i bought from netto`s :thumbs: