The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone used mr engine before?

razza

From what I've seen they are different outfits from the ones off ebay, and I'm bloody glad I've seen that thread about Heathrow Engines as they looked very credible, not the cheapest either mind:blink:

Avoid Heathrow like the plague.

I went with a friend many years ago to get a 'reconditioned' short engine from them. Absolute cowboys.

I watched as one of their 'mechanics' stripped an exchange engine. Pulled the conrods out, knocked the gudgeon pins out with a chisel in a vice and then threw the rods into a pile on the floor. Another guy picked them out of the pile at random, washed them & banged new pistons on them, then stuck them in a 'rebored' block.

When I inspected the short engine he bought I could see that the bores weren't straight. That engine lasted about 300 miles before it started smoking due to knackered bores & pistons.

I think they were reboring with a black & decker drill.... no joke!!

Have you not tried to get an engine of Jezz on here I think that maybe a good place to start as Miko_supra got his from Jezz and thats all good...!

Tried Jezz, but he's got nothing, only got a full conversion, not just the engine....

I can not believe that people are searching so hard to find an engine. I have mine a good running low mileage one and have not yet sold it and it could have been heard running recently.

I do not have a single buyer dissapointed with anything i've sold.

Some traders offer a warranty so that is the only advantage i can see between private and trade. I would offer a warranty if someone paid me full asking price (£300 extra).

In my opinion nothing beats a running Factory engine as i have been through razza sito in past with a previous car where i ended buying 4 engines fron traders and all were fooked.

I'm still interested in yours Mo, but I cannot commit to anything until I get a refund, as I just haven't got the money spare as my wallet's being emptied by the wedding.

As you've seen from this one I am a bit wary of private sales now and therefore a warranty from a trader would give me more power incase of any issues and should alleviate the need of threatening legal action and the stress associated with it. Also given the status of some traders out there (as shown above) it's not an easy task. If I had a spare car or had the ability to have spare cash at this point in time then my outlook on trying to get one may well be different, timing's just not good on this at the moment.

And the missus just doesn't understand why I can't just buy a engine with a year's warranty on it:rolleyes: I've given up trying to explain to her, so once I get the refund I may be in touch.

• 6 months later...

As this thread is requesting details of Mr Engine, and there isn't a great amount of info on here, I believe that it is within reason to add information supplied by Mr Engine himself, who has been in contact to explain a few small details about other suppliers who offer "their" engines.

He states that they purchase directly from SMR engines, and are the exclusive UK stockists .

They are located in barking, essex right on the A13.

They offer most of the Japanese range of engines and gearboxes.

All of the stock has, at minimum, been opened and checked before selling. The middle range of engines they supply has been subject to the following on every engine:

New mains and big ends,

heads removed and pressure tested

new head gaskets fitted

compression tests done before sale.

Supplied in a crate, fulley boxed so there's no dirt or damage, and the exchange engine can be returned safely

all done to prevent a large percentage of the problems associated with buying second hand engines in the UK.

They have a website that details engines in stock.

Wayne (Mr Engine) would like to clarify that they are a distributor, and have customers, some of which are the people you see selling engines on E-Bay.

The problem with that is there are times they will sell something they do not have in stock without realizing it, or at worst case without even checking it is in stock to begin with.

This leaves the problem that if the order is taken, the E-Bay client will then try to source the needed unit from anywhere he can in order to fulfill his customers order.... sometimes getting sub standard engines and passing them off as tested, quality units :taped:

So, although Ebay adverts may state Mr Engine engines supplied, beware! They could be anything.

• 5 months later...
Guest XKaLiBaR

Hey guys, i just joined this site, as i googling information about Mr. Engine as well. I too have an engine problem, on my e46 M3, which has started knocking. I have been looking for an engine for 3 months now. I went to see Mr engine yesterday, he took me to his work shop, to see the engine, to realise that the engine wasnt ther. He then told me its out his other warehouse....

He demanded a £50 deposit to hold the engine for me, and to have it shipped to his barking location.

I am going to visit him on saturday, to see the engine and confirm, whether i want it or not. I realised after i was stupid to give him a deposit without seeing it! But the fact that its the cheapest ive seen at £1500 to the usual £2000-£2500, with low mileage of 23,000 and on an 05 plate. The only problem is, he has no proof of this, other than his word of mouth.

I will report back here for you guys after saturday, when i have seen him and engine again. Hopefully, i no arms will be thrown :eyebrows:

On a lighter note, heres a professional picture of my car, to give some flavour to the supra forum :p I love supras though, my favourite jap car still to this date.

http://www.clarity-rebirth.co.uk/Evo/M31.jpg

On a lighter note, heres a professional picture of my car, to give some flavour to the supra forum :p I love supras though, my favourite jap car still to this date.

Good luck with the engine side of things, that's a cracking photo of a really nice looking car :)

Any idea why the current engine failed?

Welcome aboard!

Guest XKaLiBaR

oil pump started to fail, which didnt send enough oil to the top of engine. When the knocking started, i stopped the car and checked the oil level on the dipstick, which was stupidly high.

The only problem is, he has no proof of this, other than his word of mouth.

From my experience, someone's word (of mouth) is only worth what they have proved to be before. If no-one you know or respect the opinion of has said they trust this guy, don't bother, it'll lead to more hassle than it's worth, believe me I've been there (not with this guy though).

Would you buy a car off someone who say's it's got a full service history but has no documents to back it up? No, so why pay for an engine that could have 100k on it, just because he says it hasn't, how does he know what the mileage is?

Looking back at my experience I would have paid a lot more than I did to not have the hassle I did....the cheapest route is often that for a reason...

I would only buy an engine now if I could see proof of mileage and hear it running, and copies of service history, sometimes desperation can make you skip some of this in order to get back on the road, but it'll come back to bite you in the arse!!

Good luck with your engine woes, and hope you find a good one.

Hey guys, i just joined this site, as i googling information about Mr. Engine as well. I too have an engine problem, on my e46 M3, which has started knocking. I have been looking for an engine for 3 months now. I went to see Mr engine yesterday, he took me to his work shop, to see the engine, to realise that the engine wasnt ther. He then told me its out his other warehouse....

He demanded a £50 deposit to hold the engine for me, and to have it shipped to his barking location.

I am going to visit him on saturday, to see the engine and confirm, whether i want it or not. I realised after i was stupid to give him a deposit without seeing it! But the fact that its the cheapest ive seen at £1500 to the usual £2000-£2500, with low mileage of 23,000 and on an 05 plate. The only problem is, he has no proof of this, other than his word of mouth.

I will report back here for you guys after saturday, when i have seen him and engine again. Hopefully, i no arms will be thrown :eyebrows:

Nice picture and car!

E46 M3 is the only other 'reasonable' car i fancy at the minute.

Guest XKaLiBaR
From my experience, someone's word (of mouth) is only worth what they have proved to be before. If no-one you know or respect the opinion of has said they trust this guy, don't bother, it'll lead to more hassle than it's worth, believe me I've been there (not with this guy though).

Would you buy a car off someone who say's it's got a full service history but has no documents to back it up? No, so why pay for an engine that could have 100k on it, just because he says it hasn't, how does he know what the mileage is?

Looking back at my experience I would have paid a lot more than I did to not have the hassle I did....the cheapest route is often that for a reason...

I would only buy an engine now if I could see proof of mileage and hear it running, and copies of service history, sometimes desperation can make you skip some of this in order to get back on the road, but it'll come back to bite you in the arse!!

Good luck with your engine woes, and hope you find a good one.

nicely put mate :cool: but the problem is even the top rated breakers cannot give you service history, chassis number or number plate of the car. which makes it even harder to find an engine with a backround.

Nice picture and car!

E46 M3 is the only other 'reasonable' car i fancy at the minute.

Thanks! The M3 is an all round awesome car to drive. Especially after a few mods that i have done :eyebrows:

• 3 months later...
Guest paul.walker999

i used these guys long time ago for a pulsar engine. engine arrived in big black box and i had to send my old unit back to them. engine ran fine untill i sold my pulsar and bought my supra. also ordered rear turbo from these guys. no problems ALL GOOD.:) what happened with ur m3 enigne xcaliber. did u get ur money back???

• 6 months later...

I own an Evo 4 and bought an engine for it from Mr Engine. It has been a complete nightnare.

It broke after 6 months, about 5,000 miles.

I had a full engineers report done on it that found the engine was made up of at least 3 different engines. The block, sump, oil pump etc were not even from an Evo. They where from a RVR people mover - a non-turbo car.

I am now taking them to small claims court - but they have not even botherd sending in the paper work needed. Also doing other checks I have found they have other outstanding court judgments against them.

A review web site at http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews204329.html makes interesting reading.

All I can say is do not go near these people, to call them cowboys is and understatment.