The mkiv Supra Owners Club

3 minutes! Grief inflation?

Jake

Some good points - and just to add to them - I'm wondering if maybe the meaning of the silence has been transformed over the years...maybe *from* the phrase "Actions speak louder than words" ...maybe in general in disasters etc we should act and not need to talk about it? Maybe we're not meant to have silences the way we have them today?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this some sort of pi** take or something ???

I have seen some pretty pathetic threads in my life on various forums, but i had until now thought that this Forum was one of the better ones.

Jake, you ask what the point is of the three minute silence, and have clearly voiced your discontent at it. Do you actually have a heart ? Morals ? or any sense of respect for anything further in front of you than your belly button ?

Sorry if this post is strong, but seeing as how nearly 200,000 people have died in the Tsunami's, i think its well in order to post this.

5,000,000 people have been left homeless, nearly 200,000 people dead, 50,000 children dead or orphaned, and the majority of people involved are living in disease infested camps under a plastic sheet, having worked all their lives and had it wiped out in an instant. But your moaning about having to be quiet for 3 minutes of your life ? Whats the problem ? As has already been said on here, if you didnt want to do it DONT DO IT, but what amazes me is you spit your dummy clean out the pram over it, a 3 minute silence, but actually go out of your way to log-on to here and spend what ? 5-10 minutes actually making a post about it instead ???

Nevermind the fact that you are sat in your central heated home, with your fridge full of food, car in the drive, money in your pocket, and fingers tapping away on your lovely computer, while those poor people are sitting in filth and ruin. Remind me when your house burns down and people come strolling past not giving a damn about you, to remind you what you posted today.

Its called caring for fellow human beings by actually observing a silence, nobody has demanded it from anyone, it was suggested to millions, and millions did it, because they have actually opened their eyes to the suffering of millions !

There was a woman on TV in Sri Lanka last night who had lost her husband, her 3 children, aged 14 ,7 and 2 years, and her mother and father who stayed in the same home. She was alone, had nothing, no money no food and no family. She had fallen over trying to get a packet of noodles from a truck handing out rations, and was being trampled by the hordes trying to get their first. At the same time Jake you were probably reching into your fridge and pulling out a beer !!

One of my friends down in London hasnt heard from his mum or dad in Sri Lanka since it happened, and he cant afford to fly over there to be with the rest of his family, to find out whats happening. He sits by a phone everyday in tears waiting and hoping. But you, Captain Ignorant come on here and actually spend time,instead of observing the silence, actually bothering yourself to make a whole thread complaining about it !!!!

It amazes, saddens and shocks me the ignorance of some, what does it cost you not to speak for 3 minutes ? There are children out there in Asia just now, running scared , alone and cold trying to avoid being snatched and used as slaves in workshops or prostitutes or god knows what else. No parents, and no home.

If you dont want to observe a silence, dont, but dont be so ignorant as to come on a public forum and post an utterly selfish and disrespectful post as this. For those of you who will disagree with me, thats your own point of view and your entitled to it, but i think people today need to think before they post stuff like this and realise the suffering that is actually happening and what it costs to shut your mouth for three minutes.

I am gobsmacked at this.

Rant Over

Michael

i observed it because i didn't think it would do any harm, but i agree that minute silences are bein thrown about these days. as some of you were saying, it appears a lot of people who die in club fires or other tragedies don't seem to get one.

In Liverpool we have a silence for those that died in Hillsbrough and Heysel, it's only a Liverpool thing though and i think it's completely justified as it changed Liverpool for good. I wouldn't expect any other place in the country to go silent for it though.

It's true that everyone in work was talkin about the tsunami after the minutes silence, BUT people haven't stopped talkin about it since it happened! i dont think people should be forced to do it or made to feel bad for not doing it - people show their grief etc in different ways dont they.

what's pissed me off more about the tsunami is the report that orphans and kids that were separated from their family are being poached for the child sex trade! that makes me feel really sick, remember on the news last night it was only brought to a head because a western child is one of those who has been abducted... dunno how anyone can take advantage of all that death in this way! :mad:

Is this some sort of pi** take or something ???

I have seen some pretty pathetic threads in my life on various forums, but i had until now thought that this Forum was one of the better ones.

Jake, you ask what the point is of the three minute silence, and have clearly voiced your discontent at it. Do you actually have a heart ? Morals ? or any sense of respect for anything further in front of you than your belly button ?........

Michael, i don't think Jake was moaning about having to do it, i think all he was trying to say is why do some victims of a tragedy get a minutes silence when other's dont. i think any loss of life is tragic (although i think some form of euthanasia should be looked into for those with terminal cases who are in real pain). I think all he was sayin is why 3 minutes for the tsunami when a hell of a lot more people died in the war. i don't think he's out of order here. For instance, why did the people that died in every earthquake in America not get a minutes silence? A minute's silence, or a 3 minute one, is all well and good BUT if you think about the people that died for those 3 minutes only and then go back to forgetting about them, i think you should be well ashamed of yourself! i haven;t stopped thinkin about the tsunami since it happened, it's always in the back of my mind. it'd be more productive if everyone forgot about the minutes silence and gave a days wages to the aid appeal or something - like Michael Schumacher has.

I see your point too kopite but........

The war remembrance is done every year for a whole day in the form of a Poppy Day.

I dont think it was intended that we remember the Tsunami Disaster for 3 minutes then forget it, i think it was obviously intended as a time that everyone could come together for three minutes no matter how far apart in terms of distance they are. Just like remembering times that changed Liverpool locally within your people is a good way to do it too. And likewise for numerous other remembrances across the world.

What i am ashamed at reading is the fact that someone quite mentally stable, i think, has actually come on here and spent a lot longer than three minutes actually complaining about something that to be honest should be no problem considering it is no hardship.........in fact i wont even be looking at this thread or any replies again because its just really saddened me.

Michael

I'm abit shocked by the thoughts of some people here .. .

At a funeral do you join hands, sing Kumbyah, light a fag and start waving the union jack ?? Of course you don't.

I think the silence is more than a sign of respect. I think it's a reminder of our own mortality - our humanity ... that life is precious and shouldn't be taken for granted. My uncle and his wife left the Maldives only 2 hours before this distaster took place. Now - with regard to the duration (I can't believe people here are moaning about it!) ... FFS show some fucking compassion!

i think it was obviously intended as a time that everyone could come together for three minutes no matter how far apart in terms of distance they are.

Michael

agreed mate, but i think all jake was tryin to say was why some disasters qualify for a minute's silence and other's don't.

agreed mate, but i think all jake was tryin to say was why some disasters qualify for a minute's silence and other's don't.

At least someones getting the point :thumbs: :rolleyes:

Jake isn't saying its not tragic at all, as it is.

TBH, if you think it was Europe wide, I would have had much more respect for it if everyone was asked to take the 3 minutes silence and put 1p-£1 (or similar in other countries) in an envelope and send it to one of the charities aiding (as thats hardly gonna break the bank for anyone is it). Would have done far more good than simply sitting there quiet doing nowt.

Jake, you ask what the point is of the three minute silence, and have clearly voiced your discontent at it. Do you actually have a heart ? Morals ? or any sense of respect for anything further in front of you than your belly button ?
My point was: Why is it 3 minutes rather than 1 or 2?

Yes I have morals, a heart and a sense of respect. Anyone on here who knows me IRL will hopefully tell you the same.

your moaning about having to be quiet for 3 minutes of your life ?

what amazes me is you spit your dummy clean out the pram over it, a 3 minute silence, but actually go out of your way to log-on to here and spend what ? 5-10 minutes actually making a post about it instead ???

WTF? I wasn't moaning about having to do it, I was 'moaning' about being expected to do it. The post took me 1 or 2 minutes to type and it was made at the time that I heard about the 3 mins silence being imposed on us. I had the time to spare anyway.

Nevermind the fact that you are sat in your central heated home, with your fridge full of food, car in the drive, money in your pocket, and fingers tapping away on your lovely computer, while those poor people are sitting in filth and ruin.
That's got nothing to do with it. Me sitting here in whatever surroundings and circumstances, and whether I STFU for 3 mins will make zero difference to the poor people in the tsunami-hit areas of south asia.

Remind me when your house burns down and people come strolling past not giving a damn about you, to remind you what you posted today.
OH NO! How will I manage without that 3 minutes of silence you would have given me? Damn, it would have made all the difference. I'm regretting it already.

Its called caring for fellow human beings by actually observing a silence

No, it's called a pointless exercise that does nobody any good. Do you think it's actually helping anyone? Do you think the homeless in south asia give a shit that you STFU'd for 3 minutes?

There was a woman on TV in Sri Lanka last night who had lost her husband, her 3 children, aged 14 ,7 and 2 years, and her mother and father who stayed in the same home. She was alone, had nothing, no money no food and no family. She had fallen over trying to get a packet of noodles from a truck handing out rations, and was being trampled by the hordes trying to get their first. At the same time Jake you were probably reching into your fridge and pulling out a beer !!
Damn, if only I'd known that my observing 3 minutes silence, instead of only two, could have helped her in some way.

One of my friends down in London hasnt heard from his mum or dad in Sri Lanka since it happened, and he cant afford to fly over there to be with the rest of his family, to find out whats happening. He sits by a phone everyday in tears waiting and hoping. But you, Captain Ignorant come on here and actually spend time,instead of observing the silence, actually bothering yourself to make a whole thread complaining about it !!!!
Miss the point much?

If you dont want to observe a silence, dont, but dont be so ignorant as to come on a public forum and post an utterly selfish and disrespectful post as this.
I'll post WTF I like, thanks very much. Pretty much the same as you coming on here and posting all this bollocks.

For those of you who will disagree with me, thats your own point of view and your entitled to it, but i think people today need to think before they post stuff like this and realise the suffering that is actually happening and what it costs to shut your mouth for three minutes.
"people today"?

Oh give it a rest.

Lol @ this thread.

Issue

a)

My point was: Why is it 3 minutes rather than 1 or 2?

b)

it's called a pointless exercise that does nobody any good.

c)

Was 'moaning' about being expected to do it.

Tbh, I think in fairness Jake - it is you who is missing the whole point of the silence.

a) Does it really matter what the duration is ? Honestly! Not really. Before anyone starts getting picky - obviously something like 1 hour silence would be silly!.

b) Hmmm! Do you honestly mean that ? It's not black & white. As in - yes it helps ... no it doesn't. Just to re-iterate what others have said.

It's a mark of respect. Would you be asking this question or would you feel differently if your brother/sister/gf/wife etc etc etc were missing or dead ?

c) That sounds like my 9yr old nephew being a petulant child moaning about being expected to do his homework.

It's true what Mawby said on a recent thread

(Words to this effect) Everybody likes something to moan about on this board

As awful as this disaster has been 3 minutes silence achieves nothing and lets be honest those of you that did the silence was that the only thing going through your mind at the time grief for all the people that died. Or where you thinking bloody hell 3 minutes is a long time when is it going to end ?

I think my donation small as it is will have a bigger effect than keeping my gob shut for a few minutes.

Jake,

May I ask, did you actually want a debate? Or was this thread just to vent? Because my first post gave the reason for the longer silence (the sheer size of the disastor). It really is that simple.

I am not going to offer my opinion of whether it is right or wrong to hold a silence but, with all due respect, surely that statement is just silly. Are you saying that the higher the number of deaths then the longer the silence? To my mind, that shows more disrespect to a "smaller" disater than respect to those in the larger catastrophe.

And if that rationale is to be carried forward, then shouldnt the victims of both world wars get a longer silencxe? Or should they have had to die en-bloc to warrant the longer time?

As I said, I am not saying the silence was wrong, just pointing out my perception of the above quote.

I understand that, Syed, but I disagree. I still think increasing the period of silence is pointless. How is 3 minutes more respectful than 2? Where will it end?

Just to clarify, I'm not against a minute or two silence or showing respect for the dead. I am against being told that 2 mins is not enough anymore.

CJ, refer to my first post, the WW silence is every year, this is just this once.

Also, does is the time difference not logical? Or do you fancy a silence for everything no matter how small? Or would have though something that kills 150k people is worthy of a longer silence than one that kills 3k people?

Jake,

Seeing as it didnt go in the first time, i will repeat in more simple terms.

Its not what it achieves, its the fact that its a show of respect for nearly 200,000 people who have died, whether 2 mins or 20 !! Some people maybe cant afford to give clothes, food or money as they are extremely hard-up. EVERYONE can afford to stop what they are doing and spend a few minutes in silence thinking about what happened and sparing thoughts.

You didnt want to do it, fine. But your arrogance posting and venting about "whats the point to it", compared to this that and the next thing shows EXACTLY what kind of person you are without me having to ask "anyone who knows you" :rolleyes:

Am tired of this, it shouldnt have been posted in the first place if you had any respect for other human beings. You posted it, we have all read it, and get your drift. You dont give a sh*t and wanted to make that clear. You disrespect those who lost their lives and make an argument out of a morally proper issue.

Man i would love to be at one of your family funerals, and see if u managed to shut up through the ceremony, but suppose thats different eh ?

Nothing like self importance and a view as far as the end of your nose !

In SIMPLE terms, its RESPECTFUL to do it. You didnt want to,or didnt think it was justified, or whatever, take out of that what u like..............

CJ, refer to my first post, the WW silence is every year, this is just this once.

Also, does is the time difference not logical? Or do you fancy a silence for everything no matter how small? Or would have though something that kills 150k people is worthy of a longer silence than one that kills 3k people?

That's where I toatally disagree. I do not think that something that kills 150k people is worthy of a longer silence. As I said, that is almost being dismissive of the smaller disasters.

I have always observed the minutes silence whenever I have felt it was justified - thats my personal choice. Whether I fancy (as you so eloquently put it) a silence for anything no matter how small is irrelevant. There have been several occassions recently whereby I didnt think a particular death deserved such treatment, that, as I say, was my choice but to have a sliding scale of time (and thereby infering importance) cannot be right no matter what the circumstances.

Agree with Colin ... you don't rationalise these kind of disasters and say

X distaster has Y minutes silence.

That turns these kind of incidents a pissing competition.

"Oh - on the 9th September 2001 .. the WTC was destroyed along with 3K-5K people were killed .... But the holocaust claimed 6million people ... "

Let's get a calculator do abit of maths/algebra to work out the minutes silence for each based upon statistics of lives lost"

CJ,

So where do we draw the line? Not just the time, but upon deciding if a particular event is even worthy of a silence or not? Some large disasters have not been given a silence at all, so where does that leave us?

Also, your not forced eirther way, I have had personal silences for events not deemed worthy of them, so instead of being led, and getting eirther angry or annoyed at the length of time thought to be appropriate, do what you feel is right. Nobody should judge you for the choice you make.