The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HOW TO GUIDE - Dying your carpet Black

M4RK RZ

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody hell, I just replaced mine and chucked a beige one that was better nick than that:( You could have had it for nowt!

Yes, it's always been like that. Looks like someone has bleached the carpet away in places....it's hidden by the car mats anyway.

Come to mention it, what parts of the carpet do you actually see....the sections that run down the sills and the transmission tunnel...all the rest of covered up. At least with the dye, it will all be the same colour.

If it's crap, I'll get another carpet and try again :)

• 3 months later...

Well, I have got all my bits now so, I hope to clean the carpet this weekend and use some VAX carpet cleaner too.

Cost of items so far:

1 x 5ltr black dye £16:48 (P&P £6.50)

1 x Spray bottle (B&Q) £0.98

1 x Stiff brush (Tesco) £1.97 - Optional I guess

1 x Rubber gloves (Tesco) £1.69 - I splashed out here as they did not have my size in the 48p range.

BlackDye.JPG

P1050520.JPG

i have about 10 5ltr tins of black dye used for valeting if you want to team up with someone i will do them for £15 + postage or pickup in bristol area there will be enough to do 2 carpets in the tin in fact i could do the dye 1 spray bottle and upholtery brush for £18+post

i have about 10 5ltr tins of black dye used for valeting if you want to team up with someone i will do them for £15 + postage or pickup in bristol area there will be enough to do 2 carpets in the tin in fact i could do the dye 1 spray bottle and upholtery brush for £18+post

Sounds good, I'll send you a PM

Nice one mate - pop pics up if you get chance this "summer" lol

Cheeky :)

Well, I thought I'd start this lunchtime and use normal VAX machine cleaner at a ratio of 2 cap fulls with 1.5ltr of warm water just to see if it worked or not. (I have the cleaner already in the house).

So, we have had a nice sunny warm day with strong winds so, perfect to dry the carpet.

I started off using the hand gun...2mins later, I pulled the top off it and just poured it on...then I switched to an old 1.5ltr water bottle and splashed it all over. I only did one section at a time and used the stiff brush that I got from Tesco which took a lot of the hard work out of it, then I hosed it down to get all the cleaner out of it. I then pushed a lot of the water out of the carpet with my hands and then left it to drip dry in the sun/wind. 6hrs later and it's dry (although, the foam under the carpet is still a little wet as it sucks the water in).

As you said, their is rivers of crap/water that comes out of it.

So, I only did the drivers side to see if the VAX cleaner was any good, I did not try too hard on the really bad areas since, it's being dyed black so, is not a big concern. I thought if it was really bad, I could always give it a 2nd clean. I think if it was going to stay the same colour, I'd have to give a second application to get the last few bits of dark brown areas out.

Some pic's

topbottom.JPG

leftRight.JPG

M4rk rz

How are you finding you carpet now ? ...some 4 months on....

Has the colour stayed OK or changed in anyway ?

Do you park in direct sunlight ?

How is it on wet/rainy days ?

Has any of the dye come off or rubbed off anywhere ? on you, your clothes ?

Cheers

Pete

M4rk rz

Cheers

Pete

Hmm, good question :yeahthat:

The left hand side is not fully dry yet but, much better than before.

However, I seem to have found a pink section in the footwell of the pass side...maybe it's the coolant coming out when the heater matrix leaked.

I might go over the worst areas agian since, it's rather easy to do and takes no time at all really with the brush.

side2.JPG

#2 side done.JPG

Great guide Mark, very easy to follow found it suprisingly easy to get the seats outs thought it might of been a nightmare. Wow what a transformation the carpet looks new! well worth a usually boring saturday

The difference is unreal

i even dyed the floor mats black as they where getting a bit scruffy

M4rk rz

Cheers

Pete

Sorry i missed your question mate,

Everything is fine - I have NO problems at all with the carpet :)

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Cool, since I went ahead with it yesterday anyway....in for a penny, in for a pound :)

VERY happy with the results. I used 2.5ltrs of the 5ltrs tub/ 3 coats in all....but, you SHOULD wear a face mask, it's not nice having a tight chest and wiping dye out of your nostrils :D :D OK today :D

It's not patch, it's the lighting or where I have used the brush to rub it in a bit.

Some more pic's.

donedrivers.JPG

donehalf.JPG

donerear.JPG

donestart.JPG

donewhole.JPG

donewholepath.JPG