The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dual mass flywheel symptoms/failures?

JayJay1374

Hi guys, looking for some advice. What are the symptoms of dual mass flywheel failures?

I’ve got an annoying knock on the car, when normal driving and letting off the throttle there might be a slight clunk/knock/rattle occasionally and again after repressing the throttle, I’ve done a bit of research and it does fall towards DMF problems.

I fitted a second hand unit 4 years ago when building my engine, I checked and it was within factory tolerance when fitted. It was fine when first fitted, but say the last 2 years I’ve started to notice it. Before I take the gearbox out to check has anyone got any other suggestions?

Car is a V160 TT

Cheers

JJ

Actually to be fair (it's been a while since I had a manual) I think at low speeds it can clunk and it be the dmf, if you are at normal road going speeds I'd suspect the dmf less and less.

I remember rolling and with no throttle, quickly lifting/dumping the clutch and getting a repeatable clank on engagement which I think is definitely a sign of it being the dmf being worn.

I have the clonk when going on and off throttle without using the clutch.

Changed to a solid flywheel, changed the gearbox mount, changed all the diff mounts, checked the prop doughnut and hanger bearing.....still does it.

It also makes a small knock as I shift from neutral into first before I pull away

After abit of investigation I’ve adjusted the clutch bite, as I suspected it might be dragging. Anyway the car feels a lot better to drive, but I still have a light thud when when cruising in 5th/6th. As before when coming back onto the throttle after coasting in gear.

Any suggestions?

I think a good indicator of a failing dmf is the death rattle at low speeds. Does yours rattle a bit when pulling off ?

Try doing WOT on full boost in 5th and 6th and see if you get a spike in revs similar to when your clutch is slipping this will also indicate a dmf on its way out.

Edited by Tyson (see edit history)