PDA

View Full Version : Please Stop It Squeaking...



Suprash
27-12-02, 18:28
I had a service a little while ago, and ever since then my belts are really squeaky, especially when I first start her up. Now the squeaking does sometimes disapear, usually if I have a good long drive down the motorway, it only seems to disapear if the engine has been run a long time, as though they get really nice and warm and settle down, and as I dont do a lot of long distance driving, this squeaking is pratically permanent. Its just that you cant beat a quiet engine, could this be due to belt tension, is there anything I can do to stop this noise. Im not exactly sure how many belts are down there, feel like a women driver now saying that, but from what I remember there is only 1 main one. Help before I try and do something drastic like take a can of WD40 to it.:twak:

kubus1
27-12-02, 18:51
We are on the same boat mate, my Supra started squeaking few days ago.
When its warm it will stop.

Help, anyone??

Cuba

chrispazzi
27-12-02, 19:35
I have no idea what is causing it, BUT....

On most cars, the traditional "schreeching/squealing" sound that you get - often when the engine is cold, or when you pull out of junctions, etc, is a loose or dying alternator or fan belt.

If you've just had the belt off and back on, or changed for a new one then it could be this.

Terminator
27-12-02, 19:48
If you spray the belt with a fine water mist, before start up it will usually stop a problem belt squeaking for a short time.

Chris Wilson
27-12-02, 19:59
Originally posted by Ashley Willis
I had a service a little while ago, and ever since then my belts are really squeaky, especially when I first start her up. Now the squeaking does sometimes disapear, usually if I have a good long drive down the motorway, it only seems to disapear if the engine has been run a long time, as though they get really nice and warm and settle down, and as I dont do a lot of long distance driving, this squeaking is pratically permanent. Its just that you cant beat a quiet engine, could this be due to belt tension, is there anything I can do to stop this noise. Im not exactly sure how many belts are down there, feel like a women driver now saying that, but from what I remember there is only 1 main one. Help before I try and do something drastic like take a can of WD40 to it.:twak:

Find a local Bearing Service branch, get some V belt dressing (aerosol spray) and spry it on the belt(s) with engine idlng. WD40 works for a while, too.

Paul
27-12-02, 20:47
I'd stay with Belt Dressing, RS also supply this, wouldn't put too much WD40 on as it can ruin some types of rubber:eek:

Paul

Supra Pilot
27-12-02, 23:03
Or you can just try adjusting the belt(s) correctly!

Alex
28-12-02, 00:48
Originally posted by Supra Pilot
Or you can just try adjusting the belt(s) correctly!

Its self tensioning....unless the tensioning damper is knackered.

Adam_SG
28-12-02, 01:14
I have the same problem, its the auxillary belt and it pre tensions so if it is squeeking i would suggest replacing it, i have lubricated mine to try to stop the squeeking but its only temporary.


Cheers

Ad.

Paul Whiffin
28-12-02, 11:46
Stick talekum(dont know how to spell it) powder on it, that always works, makes it smell nice to.

tbourner
22-09-04, 08:26
Ash m8, (Bet you're embarrased that I'm dragging this up eh? :cool: - At least I know how the search button works!!!) what did you do in the end if you can remember?

Mine's doing exactly the same, only when cold but getting worse every day it seems (autumn now though).

Does it need fixing or can I just spray it with something?

Chris Wilson
22-09-04, 08:32
I have now found out the hard way that certain makes of auxillary belt just are NOISY on the MKIV. By dint of much faffing about and expense I now know which do and don't make a noise! The noisy ones stay noisy, and often vibrate too.

tbourner
22-09-04, 11:58
Mine never was before, only started a few weeks ago.

Is it a problem?
Will it cause more problems?
Should I get it seen to?
What are the sprays you can get for it?

Garfy
22-09-04, 12:00
Yep mine does it as well, tried WD40 that made it worse, I'm currently using the water method, works well but needs to be done every now and then.

Talc. sounds interesting, will try that next time it starts doing it again.

Pete
22-09-04, 12:03
I think a change in weather conditions has done it. From summer warmth to the wet chill mine started too!

tbourner
22-09-04, 12:05
I start mine and leave it running in the morning (keeping a close eye from the open front door!!!) to warm it up, but the squeeking is really annoying!!!!

Suprash
24-09-04, 10:17
Ha, ha T, thankfully this post was from my early days...... although now I feel as stupid as a stupid person asking where their turbos are....... ;)

Erm, ChrisW seems to be spot on here, nothing I done stopped it squeeking, like you say its annoying when its sat there running, but the squeeking will not harm it in any way, and I woudlnt advise to using things like WD40 on it.

By the way I found out yesterday that these belts are around 56, not exactly budgie prices........

Paul Whiffin
24-09-04, 10:24
There half that price from a car spares shop....

Chris Wilson
24-09-04, 13:43
The good thing about most of the cheap ones is you get a free squeak with them, too ;)

Paul Whiffin
24-09-04, 13:44
Never had that problem before personally.

Suprash
24-09-04, 13:46
Thats probably because your prices arent cheap :p :innocent: :D

Zed
24-09-04, 14:06
Chris,

are you going to let us in on which ones don't squeek !!

Cheers mate.:)

Paul Whiffin
24-09-04, 14:16
Originally posted by Ashley Willis
Thats probably because your prices arent cheap :p :innocent: :D

Why u say that Ash?

Paul Whiffin
24-09-04, 14:17
Originally posted by Zed
Chris,

are you going to let us in on which ones don't squeek !!

Cheers mate.:)

Gates

Chris Wilson
24-09-04, 14:19
Originally posted by Zed
Chris,

are you going to let us in on which ones don't squeek !!

Cheers mate.:)

Sure, get TWIF ones ;)

LeeT
24-09-04, 14:24
Originally posted by Paul Whiffin
Gates

aren't toyota belts supposed to be just rebadged gates belts anyway? halfords 21

Suprash
24-09-04, 14:24
Originally posted by Paul Whiffin
Why u say that Ash?

Dont mind me, Im in a funny mood today, guess I wasnt though.........

Paul Whiffin
24-09-04, 14:26
Originally posted by Ashley Willis
Dont mind me, Im in a funny mood today, guess I wasnt though.........

Got a problem?

LeeT
24-09-04, 14:28
Originally posted by Paul Whiffin
Got a problem?

he drives a volvo:p

Paul Whiffin
24-09-04, 14:29
Thats a bit homo isn't it.

LeeT
24-09-04, 15:02
Originally posted by Paul Whiffin
Thats a bit homo isn't it.

yep:D

Paul Whiffin
24-09-04, 15:17
May be thats why he's in a funny mood

Suprash
24-09-04, 15:26
Nah, nothing to do with that, its working here in the Docklands, all those sailor boys...........

Paul Whiffin
24-09-04, 15:30
Doing favours for sailors eh, do you like seamen then?

Suprash
24-09-04, 15:34
No, I just liked to get fucked in the arse once in a while, and seeing as the last was my insurance company over a year ago, I have to get my fix from somewhere.......

Paul Whiffin
24-09-04, 15:35
Each to there own