The mkiv Supra Owners Club

it did a Jake on me

JohnA

yikes, it almost did a Jake on me.

Timed run, manual mode, full boost, 1st, 2nd .... 3rd quick glance at the time, it's 1sec worse than fully auto.

Can't be right...

Slow down, give it some stick, sluggish after 4krpm, it doesn't feel right. Zero boost. No wonder.

Slow down, zero again, no vacuum. Hmmmm

Turns out at 18odd psi the silicon hose popped off the OEM 'T' piece near the MAP sensor. FPR uses that signal too, noice..... :violin:

I hadn't clamped it, it looked tight enough and it was overlapping over 1/2". Not good enough.

18psi and no boost compensation could spell disaster. Worse bit is that the water injection pressure signal is Teed off from that same source, so that would be asleep too.

Triple check those hoses people, the OEM T-pieces have no lip at the end, so hoses can slip out under high boost. Not funny.

I've now replaced the "T" piece with one having longer, barbed legs.

Also used different silicon hose, of slightly smaller internal diameter, so it is really tight. Then 8mm hoseclips on top.

These babies aren't going anywhere now, I got a fright previously, I could have lost the engine in a matter of seconds --- still not sure if I sustained any damage, didn't have time to try it again.

I will only use silicone hoses for water, the very small bore stuff is FAR more reliable in rubber, as in gates, or OE hose.

That's an interesting point that makes complete sense when you think about it. The silicone stuff really takes some clamping due to the stiffness of it. I can't imagine the performance is any better at that size either compared to decent quality rubber hose?

Can you show us a picture Ian?

I'd like it to be totally separate too, it scared the hell out of me. During those runs I was adjusting the boost controller, so it could well have been a 20 psi peak

As for the zipties, I'm reluctant to use them, fearing that they will cut into the silicon if tightened up.

Chris: I thought silicon hoses fare better under high temps, am I wrong?