The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help!!! Idle speed sticking at 2000rpm when warm!

Guest Tinners

Guest Tinners

Hi all,

Just bought my N/A SZ-R two weeks ago - fitted an induction kit at the weekend, and now it seems to randomly idle at 2k when its warm!!

I don't want to knacker the engine, anyone got any ideas?

I haven't replaced the sensor that plugs in the usual airbox (there was no hole for it on the new filter) - so I'm presuming that's whats causing it, though the strasnge thing is, is that if you put your foot under the accelerator and lift it up, the idle drops slightly.

Could it be a sticky TPS instead, or more likely the sensor?

Been reading on here that the sensors are fragile - so I hope I haven't buggered it by leaving it dangling in the engine bay!!!

All help gratefully received!!!

Ta!

M

Guest Tinners

Its a 94 J-Spec N/A SZ-R

The sensor is like a little plastic rod, that poked inside the socket on the original airbox. Could I not just drill a hole and poke it inside the new filter, or would that not work?

So..... was there no point me getting an induction kit? Seen a couple of posts on here now that say they're not so good? It seems to be pulling *a little* better (and sounding better too!!! )

Bit of a stupid question, but I guess its not going to do the engine any good without that sensor in place?

Cheers!

M

Aha, just checked, on the NA it's called a "Volume Air Flow Meter" so it's a VAF not a MAF. And it's downstream of the stock airbox so chances are it's still attached - especially as I doubt it'd run very well if at all without it.

The component location diagram I'm looking at doesn't seem to indicate another sensor around there - can you post a pic?

-Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tinners

Sorted it!!! It wasn't the sensor causing the problem after all that (although I'm sure it does have an improtant part to play in engine management!!)

It turned out to be a sticky throttle butterfly in the end - a quick wiggle on the accelerator cable, and the revs dropped back down again!

I'll take a photo of that sensor though anyway - would be useful to actually know what it is!!!

Ta!

M