The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Small case diff advice

AC93

Hi everyone,

My diff knowledge isn't the best and have read through threads here

My Jspec TT auto currently has an A02A diff, I've been offered an A02B which should be a straight swap? Apart from cornering behaviour and laying down 11's instead of 1's that's the only difference right?

Is the LSD 'stronger' than my open diff? What are the bhp/trq limits before they need changing or is A02A fine for a million horsepower?

Also will buying a second hand 20+ year old LSD be 'safe' - would it still perform as a new one with a night and day difference or would it be better to invest in OS Giken as TRD ones aren't around anymore. If my A02A is suitable for BPU++ then I'll save my pennies! :), car isn't used for tracks or Santa Pod launches, just cruising, the odd fast road driving and the usuall pulls from 50 to *cough*

Thanks all,

A.C.

Ok my two pence, I currently have two auto tt's (one bpu) both with open diffs, I have an a02b in the garage and a trd diff in Na ratios. I've not yet swapped in the lsd's but mean too on one. I've had manuals and auto's before with lsd's.

With good tyres and on normal 'pulls' you don't notice the lack of a LSD. When grip isn't great, wet or cold or sharp steering angles with plenty of throttle (t junction swift pull always, exiting roundabouts) you will get one wheel spin up and lack of drive, where with the LSD you'll get better traction and ultimately acceleration. Saying that a stock LSD isn't that tight/good compared to a gilken, but can still catch you out as it will get properly sideways easier than the open diff. The more time you spend nearer the limit of traction either through pushing through bends or high power/throttle the more you'll appreciate a LSD.