The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT dickthippery

David P

All was going well until the Tester informed me it had failed the emissions test.

I noticed he was revving the engine @ 4k yet his machine was only indicating 3k so I pointed this out to him, yet he informed me that if the computer said said it was 3k then it was 3k and my rev counter was wrong, he then continued to inform me that the computer said it was a 4 cylinder car of unknown origin and and also the chassis numbers didn't match so my car was a 'ringer'.

I informed him that it was a 6 cylinder engine and asked the Herbert to count the plug leads if he didn't believe me, but his answer was, if the computer says it has 4 cylinders, then it had 4 cylinders!

At this juncture I ran out of patience and informed him that he was a Thick Vagina!

Cutting the rant short, the database has it's knickers in a twist and I need to go back with the logbook and the emissions info because they are too thick to perform the task they are paid for.

Somewhere on here someone printed out the computer screen view of the emission details and stuck it in his car for the benefit of dipsticks, I have searched but not found this, does anyone know where that post is hiding please?

Edited by David P (see edit history)

4d377e5e7f8446e7b1745e59767f1341-computer-says-no.jpg

Computer says no.....

When I took mine for test I informed the tester that it would need a basic emissions test as he would not find the chassis number in his database. He said that the N/A engine wouldn't be but as I had replaced it with a Lexus V8 then that engine would be in their database and would need to comply.

I wished him best of luck in finding all that from the chassis number (what they have to check) and left it with him.

When I picked the car up, it had flown through and emissions were 0.21% CO at idle with no cats fitted. Needn't have worried - better than my N/A was with two cats in place!

Edited by straightsix (see edit history)

Embarass him, print out the spec of the supra and plaster them all over the MOT place and if people ask what you are doing just say you are educating the mechanics

No point in that, he's so thick he can barely read and can only count up to 4.

The post I am searching shows the computer screen with the info, someone printed this out and stuck it to his dash.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

It is somewhat worrying that a "mechanic" who hasn't bothered to read a couple of pages (which contain flowcharts, not even text walls) on how to operate a machine that basically consists of pressing a few buttons in the right order is also allowed to work on peoples breaking systems/etc :p

I didn't think the Supra was in the emissions database? Here's a sticky about MOT questions, i'm sure i read some info on the emissions in here.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?214650-MOT-questions-and-queries-answered

The Supra is in the database, and if it came from the factory with a CAT, then it must have one in to pass the high emissions test. If it doesn't it's a fail.

Luckily I still had my 2nd CAT hanging around at home, so was able to get it through, but the rules are very tight these days, and that's from my very friendly local MOT garage too. :(

On the plus side though, if you have a JSpec with HIDs (no dildos) they pass without a problem. :)