The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Say hello to Rob's new car meet :)

rob wild

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

off topic, but how does the R34 V-Spec compare to a Supra?

I was considering buying a R34 V-Spec next year.

My supra was a very capable car that started off life as bone stock then BPU AUTO, Small Single AUTO, BUILT single BL AUTO, BUILT Single ML Auto then 6 speed Built Single. The problem I always found was traction and it always being very lively, hence the 'winter driving' thread and even at BPU Auto I lost it many times and consider myself very luck as I didn't hurt anyone, myself or the car in that order! As being part of the club for the past 8 years I've seen many that haven't been so lucky!

I realised after driving a few R33 / R34's that it was the next logically step as they handled pretty much as I want it to within my own skill set as a drive (no, I'm not a racing driver and simply will never have the car control of some i.e. Jamie and the like). For me the R34 gtr I had running quite a bit more HP than the Supra was is soooo much faster both off the line, cornering etc etc i.e. the way it grips and just has so much more usable power! As well as me being able to get the power down in the wet, unlike my Supra!

I know for a fact that round a track I would be significantly quicker in the R34 to the Supra. The problem with the R34 (although mine now after mass expense is perfect!) is it no better in reliability terms when highly modified! The only difference is it costs way, way more for parts! The other problem with R34's and particularly mine is they are not a cruising car like the Supra was. I loved the Supra for just popping to the shops or a really long drive! For me it what my Supra was best at! It was in my book very cool, very relaxed and a nice car to drive about in! The R34 is a nightmare, too loud and totally uncivilized in comparison!

The R34 is an excellent drivers car IMO. They're very RAW with awesome levels of grip and high speed control, I safely completed moves that I would just have not dreamed of in the Supra! The thing with R34 is so make them truly entertaining you need to modify them a bit like the Supra with most folk moving to BPU then Single. The problem then is they can be a pain in the rear with parts being very expensive! In the end after a year or so I just had, had enough of constantly spending cash on it and really I want a car that had much better manners. Having said all that I've been out in plenty of other R34 running 500ish hp and were totally civilised so I suppose its how much performance you want IMO sticking to around 500 gives you the best of both worlds.

I'm sure there are many that would disagree and would rather be going slower in a RWD but having a more RAW experience. I will miss the R34 with the windows down, full high boost with an RB26, To4z, open screamer and flames spitting out an every change! Possibly the exciting thing ever lol

All just IMO :)

M&C - Parbold

1) Sted & Lynz

2) Rob Wild

3) Havards

4) Johnny G

5)Mooret

6)

TC

1) Sted & Lynz

2) Rob Wild

3) Havards

4)Mooret

5) M5W TT

6) PANDA

7) m_life

8) Sakey

Only cause its a about £30s worth of fuel for one meet plus sakey is coming up from Leeds.

psssssssst it is PANCAKE TUESDAY :)

M&C - Parbold

1) Sted & Lynz

2) Rob Wild

3) Havards

4) Johnny G

5) Mooret

6) Ian Ian

TC

1) Sted & Lynz

2) Rob Wild

3) Havards

4) Mooret

5) M5W TT

6) PANDA

7) m_life

8) Sakey

9) Neil-NA

10) Ian Ian

Trafford Centre would be better to view the Taxi :D with the underground car park lighting .........but if its just a get together M&C has food

Cheers

-Ian-