The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Larger/extended sump pan.

hodge

Following up on Jamie.Ps comments it the SRD suggestions thread for a larger or extended sump pan see pics

Jamie explained it means you can remove the oil cooler which I'm liking the idea of due to my TRD bumper having poor ducting to locate an oil cooler with my 4" IC pipework.

I was just wanting your thoughts on the whole idea really. Odviously with no cooler it will increase oil pressure but I can't get my head around how it will help cool the oil apart from it taking a lot longer to heat up.

Opinions???

Thanks

John

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its a common mod on big power supras, thats Amirs (DARRET) engine in them pictures, on mile runs and the like i guess the more oil the better, the more oil in the system then the longer you will be able to keep your foot down before it overheats.

Unless you are doing trackdays an oil cooler is not really needed anyway id say.

'waits for CW to come along and say the yanks dont know what they are doing :D'

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Its a common mod on big power supras, thats Amirs (DARRET) engine in them pictures, on mile runs and the like i guess the more oil the better, the more oil in the system then the longer you will be able to keep your foot down before it overheats.

Unless you are doing trackdays an oil cooler is not really needed anyway id say.

'waits for CW to come along and say the yanks dont know what they are doing :D'

I'm also interested in Chris's comments on this mate.

So by no oil cooler do you mean the stock cooler won't be needed either.

I suppose for a car that's only used on a drag strip or a mile event but what about say if it on a long motorway journey etc, I would have thought it would have overheating issues there.

I can see how this would help over mile events / trackdays, as the more oil the less likelihood of oil starvation over prolonged high rev periods etc but surely you'd still need a cooler, if not an extra one, as the more oil in the system the harder it is to cool? I generally don't know what i'm talking about so i'm probably wrong :D

Edited by Marty (see edit history)

I never had an oil coooler of any type on my red supra, black one never had one for a long time, and now its only got a very small one, i did Llandow track days with no oil cooler and never had any oil temp problems.

accusump kits look a good idea to me, hold a load of extra oil and maintain oil pressure if any drops are detected.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/oil-pumps-pressure-accumulators/accusump-electrical-oil-pressure-accumulators

I like the idea of the extended sumps, but tbh ive never had any issues with my current setup and its taken a lot of abuse in its stride, doubt i will mess with it tbh.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

I never had an oil coooler of any type on my red supra, black one never had one for a long time, and now its only got a very small one, i did Llandow track days with no oil cooler and never had any oil temp problems.

accusump kits look a good idea to me, hold a load of extra oil and maintain oil pressure if any drops are detected.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/oil-pumps-pressure-accumulators/accusump-electrical-oil-pressure-accumulators

I like the idea of the extended sumps, but tbh ive never had any issues with my current setup and its taken a lot of abuse in its stride, doubt i will mess with it tbh.

They look great, will read more on those. Cheers for the link.

So you wernt even running the stock oil cooler.?

What sort of temp were you seeing?

I'm seeing 119 degrees on steady driving and it rises to about 125 degrees under heavy load.

The modified sump sits alot lower than the normal one and gets alot of air hitting the sump to cool the oil in there as well. Apart from that more oil capacity means that the amount of energy needed to heat up the extra capacity will be even higher. So your oil will run cooler naturally at the same levels of output.

For road use it's perfect, I have driven long motorway journeys with alot of WOT and just cruising and the temp was fine both ways

Also worth getting a canton filter if you do it.

Accusump seems great as well, whifbitz seem to have had no issues with it at all.

Best thing obviously would be a dry sump though....

I'm seeing 119 degrees on steady driving and it rises to about 125 degrees under heavy load.

Sorry i think the oem cooler was in place, im not sure if Lee removed it or not on the black car. them temps seem high, dont ever remember mine going much over 100.

That seems high to me mate. I'm seeing around 80-85 degrees usually. Cruising, it's between 78-82 degrees.

What's your coolant temperature under cruising and high load?

The modified sump sits alot lower than the normal one and gets alot of air hitting the sump to cool the oil in there as well. Apart from that more oil capacity means that the amount of energy needed to heat up the extra capacity will be even higher. So your oil will run cooler naturally at the same levels of output.

For road use it's perfect, I have driven long motorway journeys with alot of WOT and just cruising and the temp was fine both ways

Also worth getting a canton filter if you do it.

Accusump seems great as well, whifbitz seem to have had no issues with it at all.

Best thing obviously would be a dry sump though....

Amir do you still have your stock cooler in place of has that been removed.

That seems high to me mate. I'm seeing around 80-85 degrees usually. Cruising, it's between 78-82 degrees.

What's your coolant temperature under cruising and high load?

My oil cooler position is ver poor which I'll be addressing soon. My coolant temps on cruising is between 80 and 85 degrees but rises under boost. I've got a few cooling issues to address with the car TBH as I'm not happy with the high temps under boost.

As said above the only thing that's holding me back in doing this is the ground clearance issues as the car sits very low as is.

Removed it completely.

Your temps do seem high though.

IIRC at the mile on the 223 run it peaked at around 85c

Edit to add ground clearance may be an issue, mine isn't super low, but I also had a custom metal undertray fitted just in case. Similar to the SRD one

Removed it completely.

Your temps do seem high though.

IIRC at the mile on the 223 run it peaked at around 85c

Edit to add ground clearance may be an issue, mine isn't super low, but I also had a custom metal undertray fitted just in case. Similar to the SRD one

So how are you getting air to the sump if it's covered by an undertray.

You sure the gauge is good? might be worth testing with another gauge.

Ive got an oil temp sensor direct to the Syvecs, and I've got a defi gauge too. The defi reads slightly higher than the Syvecs but not much. 125 degrees is seen on the defi gauge.

I'll be looking into this all in a few weeks and will post up all the results and ideas I have on cooling to bounce some ideas around.

I am liking the idea of an extended sump though.

Could someone give Mr.Wilson a prod for his input on it all ;)