The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Metal binding rear noise from around diff area?

Guest kinkydeviltom

Guest kinkydeviltom

hi, i need some advice,

i have a weird metal binding, creaking noise coming from my rear end, i have recently had my wheels refurbished and all new tyre's on, i was using a set of my mates spare wheels, which 1 had a slight buckle on 1 of the rears, i used them for about 2 weeks, and put mine back on the other day. Since i have put them on i have noticed a weird like metal grinding noise, at first i thought that 1 of the wheels are loose as i had just put them on and maybe the bolts were loose as when i slowed right down to park you really notice this binding out of the drivers window, but i checked all the bolts and i have definatly done them up tight.

So on the way home tonight i noticed the noise alot more and thought id better look into this, so i jacked up the driver rear side and checked the bolts, all tight, checked the bearing for any play, none what so ever, so i started it up and put in first, the noise didnt seem to be coming from the wheel but more like the rear diff area. I got under the car but could not pin point excactly where the noise was coming from but definatly the diff area, as i checked the bearing i noticed the wheel would rotate freely slightly, then the prop shaft would catch and turn with the diff (is this normal to have play or should as soon as i rotate the rear wheel the shafts move as well,).

On another note i have noticed on1 of the rear brakes are seized as when im driving and i pull the handbrake up i get a clunk from the rear passenger break, am going to investigate that on the weekend but just said incase theres a link with the noise.

Best way to explain the noise is a metal binding noise, or a very hard creaking, my car is a 93 na manual jap import

any help would be appreciated

cheers

Tom

Edited by kinkydeviltom (see edit history)

Guest kinkydeviltom

i know i was just trying to get all the info in quickly lol, oops, ow ye brake lol, i am tired though lol, that's what i thought when i heard the thud when i lifted the handbrake but the noise continues, its constant but not every second, maybe every full rotation of a wheel, but the noise was definitely coming from the rear diff area as i had my head under the diff as it was running in the air, or do you think the noise would carry through the shafts, i know the rear pads are low and ill put some new one's on in the next few days, but even hearing that would you say that the pads are the cause, im only asking as my money would have been on diff or around that area when i was under it running, thanks in advance for your help

Edited by kinkydeviltom (see edit history)

Guest kinkydeviltom

honestly i dont know, the diff looked bone dry all around but how do you change diff oil, never done it before is it like an engine, bolt under etc? as much detail as possible please, i did look to see where but couldnt see any bolts etc

i have had a grinding noise before on my mrs megane,

was the wheel bearing, she left it go so long withought replacing it seized up and grinded, awfull. can be dangerous if its wheel bearing..

sometimes if im not 100% sure what the problem is with one of my cars i just take to my local prefered garage to sort

Take it to a garage and get it on a ramp.

The noise could be, worn out pads, seized caliper/s, handbrake problem,

wheel bearing, cv joint/s or diff.

If you do change the diff oil make sure you can undo the filler plug first ;) oh and

put the old diff oil into a clean container then you can inspect it for bits of metal

etc

Check the WSM for how most things on a mkiv supra work

http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/en/pages/technical/a80tsrm.htm

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

i carnt help you with your problem but i noticed you wanted to know how to change the diff oil

so heres a link to the oils guide

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?56684-FAQ-Oil-Fluid-Interval-Capacity-Steering-Brake-Coolant-Diff-Engine

and heres a link to the diff oil change guide, it shows you where to drain from

http://www.planetsoarer.com/diff/diff.htm

hope you get it sorted :)

Edited by ashbuster (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kinkydeviltom

Thanks for eveyones help it was both rear calipers seized, the backing plates were a bit out of shape but not the cause, after i fit new calipers and pads ill post to confirm, just wanted to say thank you and so if anyone has the same problem they will know where to look!

Thanks for eveyones help it was both rear calipers seized, the backing plates were a bit out of shape but not the cause, after i fit new calipers and pads ill post to confirm, just wanted to say thank you and so if anyone has the same problem they will know where to look!

Glad it was a fairly simple fix

Guest kinkydeviltom

Ha ha u mad aint ya, trying to get those metal anti squeeler things in, is there a trick with putting them in because i found them really difficult lol, or can i just leave them out?