The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jdm supras vs Uk suspension and geometry?

AndyS13

Hi guys just joined up today as im debating whether to sell my evo 8 fq340mr to buy a mkiv supra. Long story short I am very interested in the differences between the uk and jdm suspension set up. I noticed the jdm cars have bilstein shocks which are supposed to be stiffer (can anyone confirm this?) do both cars have the same arb thicknesses, the same spring rates (what are the uk and jsm spring rates?) and the same suspension geometry settings? Also has anyone ever done a back to back test to compare the suspension with regards to handling and ride quality? Before anyone says it im not interested in fitting aftermarket suspension ive been doing it for years on my previous cars and all of it makes the car slower on the road due to the inability to cope with bumps etc plus its a lot of work trying to work out new roll centers (which cant be properly fixed without modifying the hub knuckles) and to get adjustable arms to correct the toe and camber.

Cheers guys

Edited by AndyS13 (see edit history)

Paging Chris Wilson to this thread. Paging Chris Wilson...

Uks are softer but mine had lowering springs on em. And I agree aftermarket suspension is a pita with our bumpy roads.

The hsd coilovers I have on my old car are much better than the hks ones on the new one. But I'd still prefer a more smooth ride!

Differences are minor, although even the Jap made Bilsteins are better. The fact the cars are now old will be the main factor, rather than how they left the factory. A fresh J-Spec car with low miles and none perished bushes will be better than a dog of a UK, and vice versa. Budget for some expensive suspension overhauling to get the best out of the majority of Supras these days, they are getting on a bit now :) I can supply various suspension set ups to suit road to full on track usage, all retain sensible suspension kinematics and keep the very active roll centres on MKIV's under control. My fast road set up is neither harsh nor short lived. The cars handle like a total dog if dropped low without major suspension pick up mods. Best overall handling MKIV out of the box is probably an N/A on optional factory Bilsteins on 16 or 17 inch stock rims.

If I get a supra the first thing to be done will be getting every bush replaced, a new set of bilstein shocks and new springs and a set of nice wheels with wider front and rear performance tyres :) Any supra kicking about will be running on Knackered bushes if they haven't been replaced FACT!

So are you saying the bilsteins were an option on the jdm cars? Also do you know if the jdm springs are a firmer rate or is it the same as the uk cars also are the geometry settings the same? What about the arbs?

Edited by AndyS13 (see edit history)

Have a search on here regarding polybushes on the MKIV and see what you think :) I've also got a thread knocking around about replacing the suspension parts to fix worn bushes.

I can recommend Chris's suspension setup, transformed my car from a crashy bump-steering nightmare on our crappy roads to a supple fun beast :D

-Ian

I just bought all suspension arms from Mr. T and that came to a total bill of just over 2.000£. I'm in Denmark, so things are a bit more expesive here. I would guess you could get them for 2k. I havent bought the subframe bushes or engine mounts though. The consensus on bushes is that you shouldn't go poly bush, if you want to keep the OEM feel and driveability for the car, but you sound like you are on the same page on that one from the start.

I can only recommend Chris' suspension. I've had both the OEM Bilstein J-spec, some aftermarked that was NOT working out for all the reasons you mentioned and now CWs fast road setup. That feels OEM quality and you can work with him on how much of a drop, if any, in ride height you want.

You could look into TRD sway and strut bars to sharpen the handling with OEM componets. I'm picking up a set of those as well next week, so come spring the car should hopefully be as handling optimized as at all possible with all OEM (I count CWs stuff as oem ;)) parts as possible.

That sounds like a path you might want to look at.

Edited by bodilx6 (see edit history)

I see I know you can get polybushes which are only 20% stiffer for some cars so these may be suitable. My idea for the car was in theory to get a set of new bilsteins with new springs, new bushes and eventually a set of titan motorsport adjustable arbs. Chris is your suspension set up based on coilovers or what?

I can suppy Bilsteins that are converted to on car ride height adjustment via a threaded sleeve, or off car via machined circlip grooves for the lower spring seat. Be aware some of the MKIV "bushes" are actually spherical bearings with no flex at all, for accurate suspension control. Replacing these with rubber or polymer bushes would be a very retrograde step. The Bilsteins made to use on car threaded ride height adjustment come at a hefty premium. But certainly possible.

I can suppy Bilsteins that are converted to on car ride height adjustment via a threaded sleeve, or off car via machined circlip grooves for the lower spring seat. Be aware some of the MKIV "bushes" are actually spherical bearings with no flex at all, for accurate suspension control. Replacing these with rubber or polymer bushes would be a very retrograde step. The Bilsteins made to use on car threaded ride height adjustment come at a hefty premium. But certainly possible.

how much would you be looking at for the adjustable ride height bilstiens Chris? sorry for the thread high jack