The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra tried to Kill me today

Steve A

Went out with a few friends for a nice drive and to take a few pics today, Supra has had a knock from the rear passenger side for a little while now but hasnt been a problem untill today.

Went to go round a corner car hit a drain, rear left i hear a bang and the car steps out no idea how but the car somehow corrected itself rather than just the spin into the on coming car i was expecting. Now the car handles terribly any time i put pressure on the rear passenger side and rattles and knocks terribly. Checked out the strut when i got home and its covered in oil its literally dripping everywhere. Guess its new suspension for me :(.

Moral of the story is if car gives you a warning noise take some notice of it before it bites you.

looking at my the fluid which is on my drive now i would say the shock has 100% had it there cant be anything left in it. Brand wise there standard shocks (silvery grey colour) with Eibach Springs. Going to replace the whole shock, spring setup i think do have a set of used bilsteins but think i want the peace of mind of something new now.

Black or yellow are the only OE shock colours I have seen, save the ultra rare TEMS or whatever Toyota call the self levelling ones optional on very late cars, which are red, with pipes going to them. If you want brand new, genuine, made in Germany Bilsteins let me know. I may have a customer looking for some Eibachs, by the way, I would have to check if he's sourced any yet.

I have never seen a none messed with OE factory car with other than black, yellow, or the rare red dampers. KYB do indeed sell a replacement damper that's silver, but I have never seen these fitted from the factory. I'll belt up, I seem to be getting a bit anal about OE parts tonight :)

oh sorry chris i wasnt implying they where oem i was just saying that maybe these could be the shock Steve A is referencing too

My apologies i just assumed as there quite tatty they were the stock shocks and when i bought it was only told about the springs. I have three grey and one black i cant see any labels on them but i was just checking with a torch with the wheel still in place so i will assume there is 3 KYB and one OE which dosent sound healthy setup anyway.

Going to have to do some maths and work out how much i can spend on a new setup roughly how much is a Bilstein setup?

I can do brand new proper German made Bilsteins for about £110 plus VAT each. I can also have them custom valved if you have any special needs. Extra £50 or so per unit, depending on what you need. I can also spec ride height with your existing springs, so if you want it a bit higher, or even lower still, it can be done for £15 per damper extra.