The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Draft coming through by door handle?

Supralad

Last night i was driving home and noticed there was a rather bad draft coming through by the drivers door handle. Bad enough that I thought it was the aircon.

Also in the mornings the windows have full condensation on the inside as well - i seem to think this is linked.

Anyone else had this problem?

Sounds like the car is damp inside. Do you have working aircon if so it should shift the moisture pretty fast. Check your passenger foot well area. Leave the aircon on all the time it should keep the inside dry unless you have a problem. Sounds like the membrane inside the door is holed or missing.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

Some suggestions, check horizontal door/window seals, door frame seal and the rubber boot around the wiring that goes into the door.

Also check if the bottom of the door card is damp, if the window seal is leaking, water will get past and into the door.

Sounds like the membrane to me. If the membrane is holed or missing you will get a draft through the handle and you will also get water ingress causing condensation. I had this problem when i bought mine and i rectified it with a new membrane.

:yeahthat:

This is almost certainly the problem :) The key is that you're getting a draft through the door handle which is a sure sign the membrane has a split is is not fully secured.

Easy thing to fix though, remove the door card and check the membrane is fully secured, in most cases it'll either be a previous owner removing/cutting it for audio components, or just part of it becoming detached.

:yeahthat:

This is almost certainly the problem :) The key is that you're getting a draft through the door handle which is a sure sign the membrane has a split is is not fully secured.

Easy thing to fix though, remove the door card and check the membrane is fully secured, in most cases it'll either be a previous owner removing/cutting it for audio components, or just part of it becoming detached.

Win :)

I stuffed some front speakers in both my door cards and get said draft, I also suffer from condensation build up. Looks like I will be investing in some new membranes, anyone have the part number?

Win :)

I stuffed some front speakers in both my door cards and get said draft, I also suffer from condensation build up. Looks like I will be investing in some new membranes, anyone have the part number?

Poly bag and some gum, job done :D

I have the membranes but if I didn't I would just go with some plastic.