The mkiv Supra Owners Club

a/c problems

Guest wantthatone

Guest wantthatone

hi all, well its been a week of ownership now, jap N/A 1995 late, covered about 300 miles, this is my everyday car, yesterday we went out & i was fiddling with the climate control/A/C. well when i turned it off, i could hear what seemed to be the sound of water coming from behind the dash! im not sure if it was or is air in the system. after switching it all on & off it stopped. there was no evidence of water in the footwells, can any one shed any light on the situation? i have hot & cold air, i know the A/C needs a service/regass, but it is a low mileage, very clean un modified example. anyhelp guys please

Often, gurgling behind the dash just means small air pockets working their way around the system. Nothing to worry about if you don't have other symptoms (i.e. if you have hot and chilled air, your aircon and matrix must be working OK), and they'll eventually work their way into the expansion bottle.

PS sounds like a nice car. Stick with it, these niggles will pass.

Guest wantthatone

thanks guys, just out of curiosity, do any of you carry fire extinguishers in your cars just in case? i have also bought a complete suspension bush kit from MVP, i think all together it was £420, next week im rebushing the whole set up. i have a feeling running the supra is as expensive as the porsche, however i am amazed at the amount of interest the car gets, however our mastiff is a little hacked off as no room for him!!

Re the water sounds I would top up my expansion bottle with coolant and go for an enthusiastic drive with the windows down and heater on full blast......this should give the system the best chance of bleeding.........if you can stop (leave the car idling) somewhere along the way on a slope where the cars nose is as high as possible that should help too.

Guest wantthatone

i was always told to keep it on or at least once a week use it, theres no leaks underneath, unsure where the condenser is situated, has any one a supra manual i can buy??

Guest wantthatone

your right topgun, nothing but trouble it seems! even the bits that were meant to be sent on which were included in the deal. you live & learn i guess.