The mkiv Supra Owners Club

high pitch hhuumm at idle - revs below 1000 - HELP

gazzi123

Hi all,

got few questions:

1 - at idle (sitting at lights etc) when revs drop below 1000, the car starts to have a high pitch humming noise any ideas?

2 - very faint/slight knocking noise on straight road surface (slightly uneven) - but when going over speed humps there is nothing (maybe illiminating shock problems)?

3 - when clutch not compressed get a ticking/very faint grinding noise - when clutch compressed (changing gears etc) the noise goes away?

Cheers all

1 - where is this coming from? Can it be the fuel pump?

2 - again, where? Is it from the suspension, dash, gearbox?

3 - is this while driving or at idle? In gear or neutral?

1 - It sounds like engine bay the humming noise (no idea if it can be fuel pump what should i check for this)?

2 - Noise deffinatly more on passengerside towards the front (owner before me replaced both rear shocks so unknown if that could be problem) once again what should i check?

3 - its both whilst driving + neutral for example:

When at traffic lights in neutral and clutch is up (no gear selected) it will make the ticking noise.

When clutch compressed/compressed during gear changes noise goes away......then once gear change complete when clutch is raised all the way up noise will start again.

any ideas?

or what i should check for?

Cheers mate

1 - could be your fuelreg.

cheers - any idea the best way to test/check.

all i want is bring supra back to life (as good as new - well best i can get it) want it mechanically sound.

Got any reliable contacts/buisness where i can get parts like this for the Supra ?

Cheers

1 - as Christian said. It sounds like a fuel issue. I would pop the hood and go listen. If the engine drowns out the noise, you can get a cheap "point-stethoscope" at a well assorted auto acc shop and then see if you can find it. If it is from the front its not the pump as that is in your tank.

2 - could be A LOT of things. If it was from the back, it would be a common supra thing, the rubber stoppers in the hatch. If it is from the front, it might be your suspension, but it is hard to tell as it is only there at certain bumps, right? I would get the car on a lift and then go poke around to see if any thing moves where it shouldn't. Check ball joints, droplinks and generally look if you have any leaks from dampers or how your bump stops look. They might have come loose or have broken. That can give the sound you describe.

3 - if you park a somewhere silent, put the car in neutral and press the clutch, it goes away? then when you let it in, you get a bit more sound. That is normal. But you shouldn't hear anything while driving. The 6sp box can make a lot of funky noises as it is build like a tank, but usually only when shifting or (de)clutching. This can be a bit more tricky, so maybe you should get someone who knows their supra stuff to take a look at the gear box through the inspection holes that you can get to by removing a couple of covers on the bell housing.

Not being UK I can't say for sure but I have great experiences with Paul Whiffin of Whifbitz and Chris Wilson. Do a search on both here on forum for more info. Whifbitz being an online shop and Chris being a hard core tech/suspension guru.

1 - as Christian said. It sounds like a fuel issue. I would pop the hood and go listen. If the engine drowns out the noise, you can get a cheap "point-stethoscope" at a well assorted auto acc shop and then see if you can find it. If it is from the front its not the pump as that is in your tank.

2 - could be A LOT of things. If it was from the back, it would be a common supra thing, the rubber stoppers in the hatch. If it is from the front, it might be your suspension, but it is hard to tell as it is only there at certain bumps, right? I would get the car on a lift and then go poke around to see if any thing moves where it shouldn't. Check ball joints, droplinks and generally look if you have any leaks from dampers or how your bump stops look. They might have come loose or have broken. That can give the sound you describe.

3 - if you park a somewhere silent, put the car in neutral and press the clutch, it goes away? then when you let it in, you get a bit more sound. That is normal. But you shouldn't hear anything while driving. The 6sp box can make a lot of funky noises as it is build like a tank, but usually only when shifting or (de)clutching. This can be a bit more tricky, so maybe you should get someone who knows their supra stuff to take a look at the gear box through the inspection holes that you can get to by removing a couple of covers on the bell housing.

Not being UK I can't say for sure but I have great experiences with Paul Whiffin of Whifbitz and Chris Wilson. Do a search on both here on forum for more info. Whifbitz being an online shop and Chris being a hard core tech/suspension guru.

Cheers mate ill have a look and get in contact with chris.

Yea i parked car in an alley whilst driving - with walls either side to bounce sound off.

in neutral + clutch not being compressed sound is there and when reving it just more frequent (once i hit 3/4000revs it goes)

when clutch compressed the sound totally goes.

Cheers mate for your help really appreciate it :)

fingers crossed - just want to make my supra mechanically sound + enjoy it

cheers - any idea the best way to test/check.

all i want is bring supra back to life (as good as new - well best i can get it) want it mechanically sound.

Got any reliable contacts/buisness where i can get parts like this for the Supra ?

Cheers

IF it's the fuereg, try giving it a few careful kocks with a finger. You might be able to hear changes in the sound. If nothing happens I'd say it's coming from somehere else

IF it's the fuereg, try giving it a few careful kocks with a finger. You might be able to hear changes in the sound. If nothing happens I'd say it's coming from somehere else

Ive had a good long check for 15minutes - i can hear it clearly when the bonnet is up and im crouching down by the drivers front wheel/wing (right hand drive car).

when im leaning into engine bay or in front of car i cannot hear it.

Any ideas?

Going by your clutch scenario I would guess gearbox. However, another option....

Power steering? Turn the wheel and see if the noise gets louder.

It tends to do that when the mesh filter gets clogged with crap or the pump isn't working 100%.

Try bleeding it out as best you can by going lock to lock with the steering wheel a few times. When at full lock, hold it there for 5 seconds.

Noises are very hard to diagnose without hearing them, try listening with a long screwdriver to various parts, fuel reg, pulsation damper and PS reservoir etc, you will be surprised what you can hear.

If you still have no joy pop the car down to AFR and we will try and find your noises and advise how you can go about fixing them, doesn't cost anything for a quick look over;)

Couldn't this be the thrust release bearing? As you say hard to say without hearing it. Also I'm auto, So have no experience with manual supras :)

That's what I was going to say, in my opinion, this is the clutch release bearing, however without actually hearing it, it is only speculation.

EDIT: Wooohooooo 7000 posts :D

Nooooo.... before you start forking out money, check all your heat shields. I've got the same issue with a humming which goes away when clutch depressed and it looks like it's just the deteriorating CAT heatshield. It could be any of the shields around the engine though. Check em all and either pop rubber wedges in or tighten them up.

Noises are very hard to diagnose without hearing them, try listening with a long screwdriver to various parts, fuel reg, pulsation damper and PS reservoir etc, you will be surprised what you can hear.

If you still have no joy pop the car down to AFR and we will try and find your noises and advise how you can go about fixing them, doesn't cost anything for a quick look over;)

Ah cheers matey - ill av a look most day today , if no luck ill definatly pop down mate

Cheers everyone its made me realise how many more things could be cheers peeps really appreciate it