The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to keep temp down

Lurch

Hello, I'm tempted to take my car for a track day soon, but I'm a little worried about the temperature it reaches sometimes. The standard gauge is always in the middle but my hks water temp gauge goes to 120degrees and this morning the egt touched 900degrees which was a bit worrying. I'm bpu, intercooler and uprated alloy radiator. Any ideas? Intercooler looks a little old.

What condition is your radiator in? Sounds like it's time for a new one.

What boost were you running when you saw exhaust temps of 900C? As Phil says, where is the EGT sensor mounted, before or after the turbos.

If you have a FMIC fitted then make sure it is ducted so the air is forced to go through the intercooler and radiator.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Hi Nic, can you be more specific about this?

If you look through the gap in the middle of the bumper at the FMIC, on a lot of cars you will see gaps around the intercooler. In this situation, whilst driving a lot of the air will take the path of least resistance and flow around the intercooler rather than through it.

Blocking/ducting the gaps around the FMIC will force the air through the intercooler, greatly increasing it's efficiency.

If you look through the gap in the middle of the bumper at the FMIC, on a lot of cars you will see gaps around the intercooler. In this situation, whilst driving a lot of the air will take the path of least resistance and flow around the intercooler rather than through it.

Blocking/ducting the gaps around the FMIC will force the air through the intercooler, greatly increasing it's efficiency.

I shall be doing this tomorrow, never thought of it like that :thumbs:

Thanks Nic.

Gone to check mine :D

My EGT's never really get over 600/650C will look at my FMIC also :D

Where is the temp sensor mounted? I'm guessing if you are seeing those temps it will be mounted after the turbo. As a VERY rough guide the temps are around 200C lower when the sensor is mounted after the turbo.

You really need the sensor mounted pre-turbo to get an accurate usable reading.

Where is the temp sensor mounted? I'm guessing if you are seeing those temps it will be mounted after the turbo. As a VERY rough guide the temps are around 200C lower when the sensor is mounted after the turbo.

You really need the sensor mounted pre-turbo to get an accurate usable reading.

The GReedy gauge was fitted before I got the car in Jan so I will have to check the sensor mounting point too :)

So... say just crusing at 70/80mph down the motorway what EGT reading would you presume?? roughly

Edited by scotty71 (see edit history)

900 degree EGTs are commonplace, if measured before the turbos.

Assuming the intercooler mentioned is a front mount, then 120 degree water is possible because the airflow is ruined to the radiator - time for a new rad / thermostat which will have you cruising at 70 degrees, making maybe 100 degrees with a long, hard thrashing on circuit.

The GReedy gauge was fitted before I got the car in Jan so I will have to check the sensor mounting point too :)

So... say just crusing at 70/80mph down the motorway what EGT reading would you presume?? roughly

It is hard to say, but roughly 680 - 740 degrees C is what I see with my sensor about 60 mm from from the manifold/ head interface in runner no 6, on steady and sustained 70 mph 20degree ambient air.

As the Supra was never intended to run a FMIC & I have a 5" core, I'm going to cut a vent in the bumper (below the Toyota sign) to aid in cool airflow to the rad on hot days, maybe a bit like this but not as big

This is a photochop I did to ensure I was happy it didn't look to ghastly

attachment.php?attachmentid=108606&stc=1&d=1271964268

IMG_4720_18_19c.jpg