The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Side mount intercooler - WHICH ONE?!

JimC

Hi guys,

I'm after a side mount intercooler to replace my stock unit and have been looking for some time at the possible options. So far I've read a little about Chris Wilson's, Whifbitz, Radtech and Miami GT, but I dont really have any sound info to base my choice on.

For anyone running any of these units, i would really appreciate any feedback on performance compared to the stock intercooler, ease of fitting and prices.

The general concensus appears to be the the CW version is the best from an efficieny and performance standpoint, but it's fair to say the price reflects that. I have spoken to Paul about his Whifbitz unit and that looks extremely promising.

Im running a BPU set up currently, but with the addition of a new side mount intercooler and an AEM FIC I'm hoping to get a little more.

Any help would be much appreciated!:)

Thanks

Define sound info....

Any increases in performance (smoothness, bhp/toprque figures) compared to stock.

Ease of fitting.

Does it use the existing ducting?

Prices.

Unit dimensions.

Details of core type (bar and plate / tube and fin).

This kind of info would be real helpful in trying to decide which unit best suits my needs because at the moment I'm a little bit in the dark of the benefits any of them may or may not offer.:search:

As far as I'm aware knowone has tested one against another in a controlled environment to see which performs best.

No i guessed that...i just wondered if anyone could provide an opinion of the changes they have seen from the new unit compared to the stock.

No i guessed that...i just wondered if anyone could provide an opinion of the changes they have seen from the new unit compared to the stock.

It depends on the condition of your stock one though. BTW, a new intercooler alone shouldn't increase performance. It would need to be coupled with a rise in boost to compensate for the higher flow available.

...a new intercooler alone shouldn't increase performance. It would need to be coupled with a rise in boost to compensate for the higher flow available.

I don't agree with that at all. That implies that inlet temps play no part in torque/power figures.

the Search button is your friend, I personally have posted on my personal experiences of two of the SMICs that you mention.

enjoy.

I don't agree with that at all. That implies that inlet temps play no part in torque/power figures.

Surely though with everything else the same, in the stock location, the heat difference will be trivial between stock and the best aftermarket unit? Maybe I'm wrong.

Surely though with everything else the same, in the stock location, the heat difference will be trivial between stock and the best aftermarket unit? Maybe I'm wrong.

That may well be the case but that's not how I read your post. I see what you were saying now though. :)

I agree that if any uprated core drops temps to the same as OEM for a given situation there will be no temp related performance increase. Similarly, if an uprated core has the same pressure drop as the OEM for a given set of conditions then there will be no performance increase.

However, a more efficient core and end tank design may have the potential to lower intake temps and lower turbine/compressor speed by reducing the presure drop from the compressor outlets to the MAP/boost controller sensor...I suppose the real question relates to that actually happening with any of these intercoolers. I don't know :shrug:

I was impressed with the quality of the intercooler Chris Wilson made up and i'm a fussy bugger :) Didn't Miami GT stop trading a long time ago?

I'm sure they all fit in the stock location with the stock duct so there's not much point in asking how easy each one is to fit because they're all the same.

If I was you i'd just get a Whifbitz one, as you'd need to start a group buy and wait a fair amount of time for the price of a Chris Wilson one to be worth it.

There is no doubt in my mind that one a new intercooler (even a new stock one...) will provide a performance gain over an old knackered stock SMIC. Whether you'd notice the difference is another story, and if there's a performance difference between any new stock or aftermarket SMIC I don't believe it would be significant, particularly at stock to BPU power levels.

I have had an e-mail in the last couple of days asking about price and availability of my uprated stock mount IC's. If I get 4 deposits I'll do another batch, price would be £680 plus VAT each, plus P&P. Time scale about 4 weeks or so. Deposits up front, none refundable. Any takers please e-mail me direct. Thanks. 3 may JUST be a possibility with a slight price hike.