The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crank Pulley Dramas

Ribenaberry

Hey guys,

I was in the unfortunate position (whilst flirting with a blonde in a Merc) to lose the outer portion of my crank pulley.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how far apart the bolt holes were on the pulley (I am not near my car, I have had to abandon it at a friends house due to work) so i can have a tool made up.

Secondly, anyone got any good ideas as to how to torque the new bolt back up again once everything is back on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dale

I have a pulley here in front of me and ive measured the hole pitch to be 66mm.

Cranking the starter with the breaker bar on is fine for getting the bolt off, but you really do need a locking tool to torque it back up. I did mine last week and with a decent pulley locking tool it was childs play :)

I changed mine 2 weeks ago as it started to squeak quite badly to torque it back up again we had to put it in 6th gear hand brake on and press brakes hard. Can't remember what the torque setting to tighten it up was now but used a torque wrench for working on trucks as it is very tight

I think you're supposed to torque it to about 300Nm, however my torque wrench only goes up to just over 200Nm (150lb/ft), so I just torqued it to that and then gave it a little bit extra with the breaker bar. Not very scientific but i'm pretty sure it wont be going anywhere :D

You're spot on with the method though, you can either lock the pulley with the tool and undo with a breaker bar, or do what I did and just use a quick flick of the starter motor with the breaker bar jammed against the floor (remember to remove the EFI relays and that the crank rotates clockwise as you look at the pulley) Then once changed torque back up using the locking tool. I would recommend using a decent thick walled impact socket for the job too.