The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Name that Toy, Like Meccano

Scott

Trying to think of the name of a toy I had a few years back. It was very similar to meccano but was completely plastic. It used black plastic rivets to join the panels together. It came with a red rivet gun thing to put in and remove the black rivets.

Can't really remember much else cept the one I had was a space shuttle.

Ring any bells with anyone?

my mum gave me a toy from when she was small. it was a flat plastic base with holes (i think) and you put metal rods into it and then put pannels between them. So you could build walls and then connect the beams together to build a roof and things. no idea what that was called but it was fun :p

I know the one you mean Ewen, it's not that though. This came out in the 80's. I can only guess it didn't take off very well as it seemed like a 1 christmas kind of thing.

Pretty sure I had something like that in school Guigsy. Can't remember the name of it though.

Trying to think of the name of a toy I had a few years back. It was very similar to meccano but was completely plastic. It used black plastic rivets to join the panels together. It came with a red rivet gun thing to put in and remove the black rivets.

Can't really remember much else cept the one I had was a space shuttle.

Ring any bells with anyone?

How old were you?

It was called "Plastic Meccano", it's "Meccano Junior" now I believe.

It's neither of those. The panels used varied in size. I remember some of them being as big as 3" x 6", give or take. Flat plastic panel, 3x6 with holes all over it to accommodate the rivets. I'll need to keep looking as it's been annoying me for a while.

How old were you?

Not sure, mid to late 80's at a guess. 6-8 i would say.

my mum gave me a toy from when she was small. it was a flat plastic base with holes (i think) and you put metal rods into it and then put pannels between them. So you could build walls and then connect the beams together to build a roof and things. no idea what that was called but it was fun :p

http://www.melright.com/bayko/

Found it :D no idea what yours is though :p

I'm thinking the girlfriend is one of those "Gay buddy" type things, no offence to the gay community but your best friends are often either Gay or Female.

I can imagine "friends" distancing themselves from him pretty quickly, what with all his witty retorts. Dread to imagine him with a drink in him, especially if any neighbouring kids have a trampoline.

I may have it.

Ready...steady....

RIVITON

OOoooooo thats SO close. It's virtually the same kit Ewen. One must be a rip-off of the other. The rivet gun thing was a bit different and the rivets were a bit different but the concept is exactly the same.

So close!!

I can't believe you've posted this, I was thinking of exactly the same thing yesterday! It must've been James May's meccano bridge that I saw on BBC recently that reminded me of it.

The little black rivets were right vicious little buggers if you trod on them or lost / broke the gun and you had to push them in with your fingers.

I can't believe you've posted this, I was thinking of exactly the same thing yesterday! It must've been James May's meccano bridge that I saw on BBC recently that reminded me of it.

The little black rivets were right vicious little buggers if you trod on them or lost / broke the gun and you had to push them in with your fingers.

Ok, thankfully that proves I'm not just insane. Did the one you had have a little red gun thing that looked like a round fire lighter thing with a clicky button?

Held the trigger in and put it over the rivet then let go to remove. Push one of the rivets in by pressing the trigger to receive one, put it up against the holes you want to rivet and then press the trigger and move the gun away to make it stay?