The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What supra for me?

danny1987

I would like your opinions please. I’m 21 and I want a supra badly and I’m trying to sell my focus to get the funds. But anyway I would like to know which supra to get, I thought ill get a SZ because the insurance would be cheaper but some people on here are saying UK spec TT will be the same or even cheaper. I don’t want spend an hour answering all different questions for the insurance company to just to say the price will be through the roof, so ill like your opinions before I make that phone call.

Also what price do UK spec TT and SZ go for and what’s a good insurance company to go with?

Cheers

Dan

I don’t want spend an hour answering all different questions for the insurance company to just to say the price will be through the roof, so ill like your opinions before I make that phone call.

You actually phone an insurance company up to find out the cost when you're thinking about buying a particular car? :blink:

Get on the internet and get some quotes, use the comparison sites like Compare The Market etc along with the companies direct.

Search the obvious places to see how much the cars are going for. For example Marks and Spencer, B & Q, The Pizza Hut, Ikea etc. :blink:

Edited by merckx (see edit history)

Guest exceed

ANd if you insist on calling you should give A-plan, or Keith Michaels a call as they are usually quite good on imports/jap cars ;)

I phoned around a bit (just one company usually) when I was thinking of buying a supra. :) You'll probably get the best quote from an insurance broker.

A UK spec car (they're all TT) and an SZ are at opposite ends of the purchase price spectrum. Rough figures, a good SZ could be had for, say, £3500. A UK spec, maybe £7-8k. UK cars are relatively rare so you'll have to watch the For Sale ads if you still want one.

A UK spec car will be cheaper to insure than an import (whether the import's an NA or TT): I think this is because insurance companies are nervous about needing to get import-specific parts sent over from Japan. In reality, this isn't usually necessary.

As Homer mentioned, you'll need to set aside some budget for servicing etc. They are 15 year old cars now, and although they're generally very reliable things can and do need replacing.

In short:

UK cars are all TT

SZ - imported NA

RZ/RZ-S - imported TT

All imported cars will get roughly the same insurance quote - none of my quotes were cheaper when I was comparing NAs to TTs. UK cars will be cheaper to insure. All will be roughly the same to run.

As has been said, UK cars are rare (especially manuals) and therefore more expensive. Expect to pay roughly 3.5-4k for a good NA, 6k for an imported TT and 8k for a UK.

Obviously there are variations based on condition, age and gearbox - manuals are more expensive to buy although they cost the same to insure.

At 21 expect to pay around 1.3k-1.7k for insurance. Mods will add to the cost. I paid 1.2k on my imported TT for my first year, at 23 with 2 years ncb. My car had standard engine, but had full bodykit, aftermarket wheels, other exterior changes and interior changes, all declared.

Hope that helps.

Edited by danhicks22 (see edit history)

Dunno where you young ones are getting thats ort of money from to buy, insure and run Supra TT's from but even around £1500 for you guys on a TT is cheap IMO considering how much it costs to insure lesser cars.

guys. telling him, "oh mine only cost ****" is pointless. everyones insurance quotes are different, I know people 20 insured on TTs with quotes under 1000, Mine however is just over 1000 and im almost 26.

Comparing insurance quotes is a very pointless exercise :)

The Supra is a group 20 car which mean the insurance quotes, as Guigsy states, will vary vastly for numerous reasons, far more than cars in lower insurance groups.

If you want to know how much it will cost 'YOU' to insure a Supra, you have to phone up and find out yourself.

I think its important also important to realise and appreciate the running costs, which at 21 yrs old will be last thing on ay oung lads mind as getting a car is the only thing that seems to matter.

For what its worth, my Supra realistically costs far more to run 'properly' than some family members BMW 2001-2003 BMW M5's!

im guna have about £4000 to buy one and ive got enough money to run one

£4K for a TT Supra......thats somewhat optimistic surely as £5k is considered the very bottom end of Supra TT territory.

No offence but if you have only budgeted and unrealistic £4K for a Supra TT, I seriously doubt you have enough money set aside to run one, people usually at least have a sufficient amount to purchase a reasonable car to begin with.

Edited by DSK (see edit history)

£4K for a TT Supra......thats somewhat optimistic surely as £5k is considered the very bottom end of Supra TT territory.

My thought's too, I would go NA for the money, I think most TT's you will find at that price will be abit rough.

i saw this on on pistion heads and its in my price range and its a uk spec

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1126582.htm

what do you think?

That's been mentioned before on here. At that price its CHEAP. UK models sell for circa £7K at least. Don't expect any more TT's to come up for £4k though!

That car SHOULD have sold the very day it was advertised for that price. IIRC this was linked via an Ebay advert with closer pictures, the roof looked like it needed a respray as the paint was flaking etc. To be honest that sounds like a car that needs a couple of grand spent on it getting TLC stuff done.

For what its worth, my Supra realistically costs far more to run 'properly' than some family members BMW 2001-2003 BMW M5's!

I seriously doubt that based on what I have read on the internet in regards to servicing costs of the M5 and the problems with the VANOS (I think thats what it is) units. Apparantly you can buy warranties with dealers for any engine probs you get as its BIIIG money when things go wrong with the M5.

I've found both my Supras to be fairly reasonable, all they've ever needed is oil and fluid changes and various perishables like brakes, tyres and the odd rubber pipe...