The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What tyres for 16" supra wheels

Guest rowey200

Guest rowey200

I have just refurbished a set of 16" supra wheels (staggered 8" front / 9" rear) and i'm now ready to put a set of tyres on them. This is where the fun begins, as I have found tyres are quite limited for 16" rims.

I was thinking of running 215/40/16 front, and 245/45/16 rear?

Any thoughts, could other people running these rims let me know what size tyres they run.

Thanks in advance :)

I'll have a look in the next day or so for you. It's not my daily driver so I'll have to get to the car first! I do know that the Toyota recommended sizes (sticker on the door slam panel) are hard to come by, so I think the tyre fitting places tend to fit something slightly smaller than the recommended.

Guest rowey200

Just to complicate things these are going on a mk 2 Toyota MR2, so I have to run a 215 at the front, as I have been told a 225 will rub. I just worry that if I go for a 215/40/16 front, and 245/45/16 rear set up the car might look like it's a tad high at the back.

Any thoughts

I would have thought 225's would be fine on the front of an MR2? Might be wrong though, it would be worth checking if you're having trouble finding tyres in the particular size you want

As for the back looking high when compared to the front, if you went for say 215/50/16's instead of the 215/45's on the front, then that should make the wheels roughly the same overall diameter as the rears.

Edited by jim_supra (see edit history)