The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice - Cleaning the Engine Bay

Guest chrisbirch

Guest chrisbirch

What's the best way to do this ? Steaming seems to have worked a treat on other cars ive had, but would this sod all the complex electrics up.

Hi Chris

Gunk (orange can from wilkinsons or Halfrauds) is a good agent to use but whatever you use you will need to wrap clingfilm around the electricals. You'l also need a couple of old toothbrushes, cotton buds ;) and lots of rags. Messy but looks ace :cool: Then use some tyre shine to bring up the hose/plastic parts.

Good luck!!

Linda

x

What's the best way to do this ? Steaming seems to have worked a treat on other cars ive had, but would this sod all the complex electrics up.

Not if you dont steam the electrical bits. I have steamed mine (household steamer) and used it to clean the connectors and had no problems. Then i run the engine til hot then cover with engine degreaser (gunk or similar), rinse that all off and run engine to help dry. Then i went and took a few bits out of the bay so i could T-Cut the innerwings, chassis legs, slam panel etc then finished off with a polish.

And yes as lin said becarful of the connectors with gunk and water. I always rinse mine when its running just to make sure..

Be SO careful cleaning the engine with steam or water... the gulley where the plugs sit are a water trap, and it just gathers there and the car will missfire all day long... (bitter experience)...

I had this when a friend jet washed my engine bay DOH!! i think it was my first ever thread about how to sort it.