The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Most annoying alarm ever...

cheekymonkey

Hi All

I have a Clifford Concept 300 alarm in my Supe, however it is extremely annoying and goes off all the time. I had to sleep with the key fob by my pillow last night to disarm it at 4am.

It does silly things like re-arm itself after you've disarmed it so if you open a door it goes off, blah blah blah.

I can disable the auto arming feature (I hope) but I can't see any way of decreasing the sensitivity of the alarm. Since I am parked on a flat driveway with no through traffic, I can only imagine the alarm went off last night due to my cat jumping on it or something.

Can I just unplug the siren? I really can't be bothered with an alarm, I just want the remote entry/exit, that's *it*. Just think - when was the last time you heard an alarm going off and actually thought a vehicle was being broken in to and called the police? :D

Cheers

James

Really unhelpful comment and I'm sorry but does anyone have a Clifford alarm without problems, they seem crap?

I know what you’re saying about alarms, it’s like the Southpark movie where if I remember correctly someone falls out of a window and onto the car crushing it. The owner comes out, tuts without looking at the car disarms it and goes back inside.

I like your Audi btw.

Really unhelpful comment and I'm sorry but does anyone have a Clifford alarm without problems, they seem crap?

They're not crap, just complicated and need setting up correctly.

I'd sooner go for a cheaper CAT1 any day, just do what they're supposed to.....alarm your car!

There's an engineers guide somewhere for the concept 650 that's similar to the 300 I think on adjusting the sensitivity.

First off, have you left any change or metal objects in the centre glovebox or nearby the alarm base unit sensor? This set mine off non-stop as it fecks up the proximity sensors.

I'll try and find that guide for you now.

There's an engineers guide somewhere for the concept 650 that's similar to the 300 I think on adjusting the sensitivity.

First off, have you left any change or metal objects in the centre glovebox or nearby the alarm base unit sensor? This set mine off non-stop as it fecks up the proximity sensors.

I'll try and find that guide for you now.

Thanks, would appreciate that. Not sure where the sensors are but will have a good look round later. There are of course bits and pieces in the gloveboxes - not sure about metal stuff though.

Have found the end user guide for the alarm, so I now know how to check what sensor is setting the alarm off, pretty sure it's the proximity one but I might have a fault somewhere else.

go to www.clifford.co.uk and you can get all the info you need.

my alarm was doing that coz i had a fly in my car and the sensor was picking it up,all you need to do is reduce the sensitivity and it will all be fine

I found a FAQ dealing with this issue, it says to adjust the sensitivity but doesn't tell you how. I guess they want me to take it to a Clifford dealer or something.

Anyway if someone knows how to do this, please let me know! :D

I don't think you can adjust the sensitivity on the fob like with the Concept 600s and 650s, but if you locate the proximity sensor you will be able to adjust the sensitivity with a small screw driver (thats if its the same proximity sensor as on my clifford C300).

Also if you have the manual you should be able to use the 'total recall' function of the alarm which tells you the reason why it was last set off.

Mine had a similar problem with going off on its own, I thought it was the proximity sensor but it turned out to be a data cable I had left connected to the alarm (which enabled me to connect my laptop to the alarm) just started playing up. Not sure why....?:rolleyes:

With regards to the quality of the Clifford alarms, I believe they are good bits of kit but need to be set up and installed correctly.

I don't think you can adjust the sensitivity on the fob like with the Concept 600s and 650s, but if you locate the proximity sensor you will be able to adjust the sensitivity with a small screw driver (thats if its the same proximity sensor as on my clifford C300).

Thanks, any idea where the prox sensor would have been fitted in a Supe? I couldn't see it anywhere obvious. Am guessing most installers would put it in a "standard" location.

I have a concept 650...NO PROBLEMS....its down to the person who installs it...

That might not be the case here. Myself and several others who have this problem (its been posted before) have had years without issues, then suddenly it'll crap out like this. It seems to be pretty common on the Cliffords.

I'll take mine back to Sextons when I get time, problem is its well outside its warranty period.

:iagree:

I`ve had several versions over the years with no trouble at all.

Agreed - Cliffords are, IMO, one of the best alarms out there, with the most features. However, sooo many installers don't know how to do the installation properly, and this leads to these problems.

However, as Homer has said, if the alarm has been functioning correctly/well for the last few years, then something must have changed for it to cause issue now - but what? Other than sensitivity?