The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Modifying the Auto gear shift

Brian Jackett

I have just ordered some parts which I am going to have to modify.

The idea is to make the auto shift changer feel and look more like a sequential shift.

The stock shift knob will be replaced with a polished alloy one and the existing button to press to take it out of park will be done by pushing down on the new alloy knob. The over drive button will have to be placed in the new knob.

A leather gaiter kit from a manual will cover the existing auto area thus making it look like a manual.

I think It will make it  a much more exciting feel to the auto when using the manual override and shifting through L 2 and drive. And keep people guessing at track days. No more Oh its an auto.

I will post pictures on the site once done.

regards

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't have access to a scanner until Wednesday.

To make the mod perfect I need to get my mate who has an engineering firm to make an adapter. This will then be able to be used on a wide selection of different gear knobs. You will then be able to choose the one that you like.

GIve me a short while to test it and make sure that it dosn't break.

But it is a brilliant mod I am very chuffed with my self.

regards

Here is the photo, my mate came round and took a picture for me:

http://81.130.202.105/images/1.jpg

You will notice the O/D button, this is a temp meassure.

It does look like a manual don't you think.#

There is an excess of leather from the normal gear gaiter but you can buy leather and make your own.

P.S. sorry about the dirty carpet and keys and Aero roof tool on the seat.

Hope you like it, can show it for real on Sunday for all those going

regards

The kit I have in mind would allow you to hook on a gear gaiter over the stock auto cover as in the picture.

Included in the kit is the adapter that connects to the stock auto gear shift to take ANY gear knob, so you would be able to order one to match your interior or preference. These range from approx £25 - £50.

The O/d button would need to be moved to the dash, I would source and include this in the kit.

If anyone thinks people would prefer the O/D button put in the gear knob then I would have to have a stock one machined at the top to house the stock button.

This would limit the choice of gear knobs to one type and would put the cost up by a lot.

Thoughts

regards

Good turnout on Sunday, very enjoyable.

Ok, showed a few people the gearknob mod and I think everyone liked the idea, general view is to mount the button on the dash next to the gear stick area. Thus people can choose their own gearknob to best match their own personal taste. To expensive to machine a gear knob with the O/D button inside and then you would only have one choice of Knob.

One guy at the meet said that he could not use it because he has race logic and I think meant that he has no dash lights to show what gear he is in. He is in the Red Supra for sale named Phil.

Can anyone explain what he meant, does fitting race logic remove the gear indicator lights in the spedo.

regards

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have had a proper adapter made which will take any universal gear knob.

The parts have to be made by hand as they are in such small quantities and this has brought the price up.

The adapter will cost £70

+ a switch , not yet sourced to use for the O/D.

+ A set of clips to hook the gear gaitor onto. I am still trying to source these as If I have them made they will cost £30 which is silly.

You will still have to buy a gear knob - approx. £25-£50  + a gear gaitor - approx. £14 - approx £25.

It is an easy DIY fit and should take about 2 hours, the time being spent relocating the O/D switch.

But the end result is very good and it gives a much different feel when driving the car. If you are not convinced then come around and try my car.

Is the price ok, I do not want to get any made and then find out it is too expensive for all of you.

regards

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the confusion, it wasn't the RLTC that caused the problem but the HKS Trac removal kit. To avoid the OD OFF light flashing I removed it.

It's not such a big problem but I use the od off button a lot to change down to third when coming up to roundabouts etc. so not having it on the stick would not suit me.

Looks good though and I'm sure many people will want it.

Cheers,

It's not such a big problem but I use the od off button a lot to change down to third when coming up to roundabouts etc. so not having it on the stick would not suit me.

The button will be right by the stick just on the bit by the handbrake. I find with this mod you can move the stick to second for roundabouts. I'll take you out in mine with the mod and you can try it. I am sure you will like it. I would be interested in your opinion.

regards

Stu,

I think the TC removal is money well spent (after the initial hassle getting it working properly). As you know I never even fitted the RLTC but the car feels better without the stock TC as you know exactly where you stand without any electronics putting their size 9's where they aren't wanted.

Brian,

Yeah, I would be interested in a spin to see how it feels.

Cheers,

Phil

Quote: from Brian Jackett on 4:25 pm on Nov. 10, 2001[br]Here is the photo, my mate came round and took a picture for me:

http://www.innet-uk.com/images/supra/gearknob3.jpg

You will notice the O/D button, this is a temp meassure.

It does look like a manual don't you think.#

There is an excess of leather from the normal gear gaiter but you can buy leather and make your own.

P.S. sorry about the dirty carpet and keys and Aero roof tool on the seat.

Hope you like it, can show it for real on Sunday for all those going

regards

Brian, that's neat, novel and I love it. If you don't sell some of those I'll (maybe..) eat my hat

Has all the right ingredients IMHO. If it's made as well as it sounds (and I am sure it is, from having spoken with you on other matters) then it should do well.