The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Polishing Kits

DamanC

Ive decided to give it a go :eek:

The thing is, i havent a clue where to start!

Im going to polish an already half polished intake manifold, half polished throttle body, my cam covers and then anything that shouts "polish me" after.

Ive been reading up, and this kit seems to be jumping out alot. Is that upto the job? the roundy things look quite big to get in and around the throttle body :blink:

Whats the difference between the roundy things and componds?

Will that kit do what i want?

Cheers

A couple of questions and suggestions:

What will you use to remove the cast marks (abrasive) ?

You will also need to get some half inch versions of those mops for the intake manifold.

I would also buy more felt bobs, i normally get about 5 minutes use out of a felt bob.

I would also get some eye goggles as well.

Good luck with it.

A couple of questions and suggestions:

What will you use to remove the cast marks (abrasive) ?

You will also need to get some half inch versions of those mops for the intake manifold.

I would also buy more felt bobs, i normally get about 5 minutes use out of a felt bob.

I would also get some eye goggles as well.

Good luck with it.

Humm,

cast marks, these do the job?

Some bobs?

Some Smaller mops?

Id like to give it to colin, from what ive seen the work is spot on, its always something id like to have a go at :)

I have one of these kits. Make sure you wear the mask or you will get a nose bleed afterwards :)

You would be better off with the kit that has the big and medium circle jobbies rather than those tiny things.

The difference is you start with harsh and work your way down to soft to make it shine! Takes AGES!

for cast marks i would personally use flap wheels, they last longer and are a damn site cheaper, that greaseless compound takes ages to set and only lasts a little while.

For the bobs, the 2 i use the most are the 2 on the far right (top and bottom)

Those smaller mops are useful as well but what i meant was something like a 6 x 1/2 inch sisal mop this would get you in to the reces between the runners on the intake mani.

A flap wheel :blink: :lol:

Amasing what things are called when you search! Ok so say something like these? Or would you recomed set grits?

:D

Those grits are a little abrasive for your application, you could start with the 120 and move up to 240 or 320 grits. The sisal mop and grey compound (supercut 40) will remove marks from 240 grit flap wheels.

but those are the sort of thing you need just slightly higher grits (less abrasive)

I have one of the kits, but luckily I also have a big bench mounted polishing wheel ;) and bigger mops. I did my turbo pipes and send hours and hours sanding them smooth with Ali Oxide paper, then used the big mops I have then down to the smaller ones. Yes its not perfect but results are quite good, but as pointed out, cover up lol..! I was black when I had finished.

Few bits I have done myself.

Before

After

One thing i forgot to say, make sure you have a mask and goggles ideally a full face shield or a balaclava works quite well. At the end of a days polishing i look like a coal miner :D

Yep I was about to say also invest in a good cleaner for yourself.

It's a mucky old job.

I have one of the kits, but luckily I also have a big bench mounted polishing wheel ;) and bigger mops. I did my turbo pipes and send hours and hours sanding them smooth with Ali Oxide paper, then used the big mops I have then down to the smaller ones. Yes its not perfect but results are quite good, but as pointed out, cover up lol..! I was black when I had finished.

Few bits I have done myself.

Before

[qimg]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95/streetmodified/Image371.jpg[/qimg]

After

[qimg]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95/streetmodified/Image373.jpg[/qimg]

Looks good, make sure you chrome them parts or wax the hell out of them or they will grow ginger beards very quickly ;)

Are you down to just nubs yet Rob or are your fingers still intact ? :D

How is it going

Im still mostly ok :D

Wheels are complete, turbo comp cover is done, now just got inlet manifold, throttle body and cam covers to do :(

Im restricted to where im able to do the hard abrasive flap wheel job on the inlet...i dont think my dads calssic cars would appreciate being covered in aluminium dust :(

Exactly what im doing Damon...I was going to use a rust removal disc to remove the pores on the intake manifold and work down in grit compound when finishing

Col, what would you suggest on the cam covers as there are no abbrasive pores to remove??

Yes there are, if you buy a tub of nitromoors paint stripper and take off the paint on the covers. You will see fine cast marks.

Several options from here, a sisal mop and lots of patience, a light abrasive pad or disc - 240 grit then work up to say 320 grit depending on your hardware.

Make sure you don't go just the one way with each layer cross them at 90 degrees.