The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which boostcontroller?

Lebsteif

Which boostcontroller will be the best for me?

Blitz - SBC - i-D III , AEM trueBoost, HKS

Blitz SBC I-D III

The SBC i-D (Sequential Boost Controller i-D) is the latest boost controller offer by BLITZ®. this unique boost controller represents the cutting edge in boost controller technology. The SBC i-D features the same dual solenoid design as the DSBC for maximum boost response and the capability to hold up to 36.75psi (2.5 bar). The SBC i-D is 1/2 din size and it is compatible with internal actuators and external wastegates.

Product Features

- Boost Unit - Boost can be displayed in standard and metric measurements (PSI, bar, kPa, and kg/cm2)

- Four Channels - Has 4 different programmable boost settings.

- Boost Gauge - The SBC i-D can display boost in digital and graphical form.

- Peak Hold - SBC i-D can record the highest boost achieved by the vehicle.

- Boost Warning and Limiter - This is a safety function that allows the operator to set the amount of boost decrease in the event of over boost. Warning is in both visual and audible.

- Manual or Automatic boost setting - The SBC i-D allows the user the choose how the boost is set.

- Manual - Sets boost in ratio, from 0-100. By using the manual setting, this allows the boost controller to give maximum boost

- Automatic - Sets boost directly, just dial in desired boost amount.

- Record and Replay- SBC i-D has the ability to record and replay any information up to 99 seconds. The SBC i-D can also record and replay information on the Power Meter i-D and Optional Data (Power Meter i-D and SBC Optional Harness required). Replay can be fast forwarded and replayed in 2x and 5x.

- Display - The SBC i-D can display up to 6 different vehicle reading. Each reading can be display in both digital and graph form. SBC i-D has the option to display 5 other vehicle reading (Power Meter i-D and SBC Optional Harness required). With Power Meter i-D, the SBC i-D can display SPEED and POWER. With SBC Optional Harness, the SBC i-D can display 3 different electronic outputs from the ECU.

Screen Display

- Boost - Digital and Graph Form

- OPT1/SPEED - (Power Meter i-D required to display speed) ¡V Digital and Graphic form.

- OPT2/POWER - (Power Meter i-D required to display power) - Digital and Graphic form.

- DATA 1 - (SBC Optional Harness required) - Digital and Graphic form.

- DATA 2 - (SBC Optional Harness required) - Digital and Graphic form.

- DATA 3 - (SBC Optional Harness required) - Digital and Graphic form.

- OPT2/POWER - (Power Meter i-D required to display power) - Digital and Graphic form.

- DATA 1 - (SBC Optional Harness required) - Digital and Graphic form.

- DATA 2 - (SBC Optional Harness required) - Digital and Graphic form.

- DATA 3 - (SBC Optional Harness required) - Digital and Graphic form.

- DATA 1-3 Display - This boost controller has the ability to display any electronic output from the vehicle ECU (SBC Optional Harness required). It can display almost any voltage output from the computer (i.e.: TPS, temperature, pressure, A/F, injector pulse and etc.). DATA 1-3 readings can also be recorded and replayed.

- Speed Map - This unique feature allows the SBC i-D to control boost according to the speed of the vehicle (Power Meter i-D required). Speed Map boost control can be set up from a 2 stage to a 4 stage control, which allows the user to set boost according to his driving style. Speed in transfer by infrared between the Power Meter i-D and SBC i-D.

AEM TrueBoost

AEM’s TRU-BOOST Gauge-Type Controller is an electronic boost controller that combines the simplicity of a manual boost controller with the added ease of adjusting boost levels through a gauge interface. There is no external interface required for set up, and it is fully functional right out of the box. There are no gimmicks or special software programs included. If you want more boost press the button on the right of the gauge face, and if you want less boost press the button on the left of the gauge face. It’s that simple, and IT WORKS!

AEM’s TRU-BOOST Gauge-Type Controller includes everything you need, including an on-board 29 psig pressure sensor, built-in Overboost protection with two timed shutdown levels, a scramble boost setting and a low-side output for a warning light. AEM offers a 75 psia boost sensor for high boost applications (sold separately).

AEM’s boost control solenoid (included) is the only one specifically manufactured for automotive boost applications, which means it won’t corrode and stick from exposure to rich fuel mixtures, it is pressure tested to 100 psi and includes -4 AN fittings to eliminate any chance of leaks.

HKS - EVC - V/VI or whatever

HKS has released the all new EVC V to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the first EVC electronic boost controller in 1987. The new EVC has benefited from 20 years of development featuring a range of new features:

- New black foreground screen provides excellent visibility in all conditions

- High Boost Capability, enabling control up to 36 PSI

- Easily setup with simple target boost level inputs

- Overboost setup, enabling the user to enter the desired boost offset when detected.

- Dual Boost setting, enabling different settings for different conditions

- Map Correction Mode, can be tuned for: Throttle Position, RPM, Vehicle Speed, Throttle Position + RPM, or Throttle Position + Vehicle Speed.

- Metric (KPA) or SAE (PSI) settings can be used during setup.

I have the Blitz ID power meter which can be connected to the blitz boostmeter. But the AEM looks more user friendly/simple without too much functions and buttons etc. The HKS is a good working boostcontroller according to the search - WHAT?!, yes i used the search :p

Fabian, only one choice IMO, if you have the Power Meter already then definitely go for the Blitz SBC i-DIII. This is one of the best boost controllers available and when combined with the Power Meter allows you to set the boost against speed.

This mean you can maximise boost in whichever gear you are in. Without this feature you would need to set max boost in higher gears, but be able to reach max boost in lower gears. The dual solenoid used on the Blitz EBC's also gives far better/stable control over boost. The gain feature also help the turbos spool up faster for better response.

You know where I am if I can help anymore ;)