The mkiv Supra Owners Club

spark plug location

craig l

NA or TT...

The TT ones are far easier...

Undo the allen keys which hold the plastic cover on the top of the engine..

There are a few 10mm nuts holding the coil packs on.. Be very careful with the coilpack connectors as they have a habit of crumbling at this age...

Then the plugs are right underneath..

red arrows are where the plugs are which are underneath the coilpacks, the connectors that go into the coilpacks are worth getting 1st as they often on older mkivs just fall apart, got mine off P Whiffin.

Heres 2 picks of the coilpacks and they fit in pairs red arrows is where they bolt to the head the blue is where they push over the spark plugs, can be a little bit of a wriggle getting them off but not too hard.

Also a pick of the loom holding clips that hold the coilpack wiring along the head, they also fall apart so have some cable ties with you which you can use if they do.

Engine bay 3.JPG

coilpack 1.JPG

coilpack 2.JPG

coilpack loom clips.JPG

• 1 year later...
red arrows are where the plugs are which are underneath the coilpacks, the connectors that go into the coilpacks are worth getting 1st as they often on older mkivs just fall apart, got mine off P Whiffin.

Heres 2 picks of the coilpacks and they fit in pairs red arrows is where they bolt to the head the blue is where they push over the spark plugs, can be a little bit of a wriggle getting them off but not too hard.

Also a pick of the loom holding clips that hold the coilpack wiring along the head, they also fall apart so have some cable ties with you which you can use if they do.

What a useful post :thumbs:

(I'm having a search as I need to change my plugs - tonight! :eek:)

lovely, cheers Nic! :thumbs:

If you haven't already done so, I would fit a new set of coil pack connectors at the same time. If they are the original ones they will probably disintegrate when you try to remove them. See here http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=61141

Also buy 2 new breather hoses, as these perish from the heat of the engine and spit easily when you try to remove.

Yeah I was just reading that I may face those problems. Mine is a year 200 car so hopefully I won't, but I'll give my local Toyota a shout now to get the bits in ASAP, just in case. Thanks again :thumbs:

The coil pack connectors and hoses on mine needed changing when the car was only 6 years old, so I'd definitely get them before you tackle the job. Parts numbers

90980-11246 Coil Pack connectors

12263-46010 breather hose 1

12264-46010 breather hose 2

I've ordered some, will be collecting tomorrow. Along with the 6 coil pack connectors this came to ~£56 inc VAT. I didn't ask for a breakdown, but does that sound about right?

12263-46010 breather hose 1 - £6.69 + VAT

12264-46010 breather hose 2 - £5.81 + VAT

As Nic said, mine split last week so had to buy the pair at £14.69 inc VAT

If I'm also paying £14.69 for those, it means the coil pack connectors are ~£7 each.