The mkiv Supra Owners Club

High revs but no speed increase on auto kickdown!

RedM

I'm sure this has been answered but I'm damned if I can find an answer.

If I need to boot it whilst doing motorway speeds the autobox changes down and I get a lot of revs, the back end squats but it seems to take forever to gain speed. Today I pulled out to overtake and the car just kinda sat there revving it's nuts off before seeming to realise that I wanted to go fast and she then took off.

What's that all about?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do the revs rise fast , but the road speed doesn't? If it's an auto box expect to be buying a new one very soon. Slippage in auto boxes is virtually *ALWAYS* terminal and you will be looking at a new or recon box, or if you feel lucky, a secondhand one, but make sure it's been stored correctly, and the fitters flush the cooler and lines out, and always bin the convertor as slippage filles them with muck that cannot be drained out without cutting them open and rebuilding them..

Do the revs rise fast , but the road speed doesn't? If it's an auto box expect to be buying a new one very soon. Slippage in auto boxes is virtually *ALWAYS* terminal and you will be looking at a new or recon box, or if you feel lucky, a secondhand one, but make sure it's been stored correctly, and the fitters flush the cooler and lines out, and always bin the convertor as slippage filles them with muck that cannot be drained out without cutting them open and rebuilding them..

Well, that's made my day!:(

Chris,

Is it likely to be slippage. The car has done 98k and hasn't been ragged much be myself or the previous owner although I've no idea how it was treated in Japan.

I thought these boxes were strong and find it odd that one wouldn't last longer than this.

Going to change the fluids and see what happens.

How much are new autoboxes?

I noticed when I fitted my aftermarket tranny cooler and managed to drop some oil, there was a slippage in the box. It doesnt take much to make the autobox act up. A full flush of the oil is quite costly as it holds quite a bit of fluid.

Top it up and see if it helps.

good luck;)

Without wishing to complicate things, does it happen at around 60mph Martin? Mine does exactly this and I'm convinced it's nothing to do with the TC but a dodgy VSV somewhere...... it kicks down into 2nd and revs it's arse off but crawls forward because the boost isn't being routed properly via both turbos and instead just goes back out one or the other.

Basically it's like Ian's entry in the FAQ, see a couple of 0.x of boost but nothing more. After a few seconds it sometimes builds up properly again but more often that not it'll take off properly if it shifts into third or I let off / reapply the gas.

This is more like it. 60 is about right as I often notice it when pulling onto a Mway and getting ready to lunge into the traffic.

Today though I was definitely going faster than 60 but still only in double figures.

Could it be a boost leak?

I'm sure this has been answered but I'm damned if I can find an answer.

If I need to boot it whilst doing motorway speeds the autobox changes down and I get a lot of revs, the back end squats but it seems to take forever to gain speed. Today I pulled out to overtake and the car just kinda sat there revving it's nuts off before seeming to realise that I wanted to go fast and she then took off.

What's that all about?

clutch?

TBH I know sweet FA about VSV's and the like but here's a thing.

In the picture below the circle pipe (it's a big, ridged beast) has a oil mist spray from the end at the front of the bay. Could this be anything to do with it?

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/8530/enginezd7.jpg