The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bonnet Struts for the supra bonnet ??????????

lui

Just wondered does anyone do any bonnet struts for the supra bonnet as now having a Seibon T/S carbon bonnet fitted when raised on the standard bonnet stand bonnet looks scew whiff & would be nice if there was some form of bonnet struts to replace this a ive seen a pair of Tein one's fitted on a RX7 with a carbon bonnet & they do the job & look the part but called Tein today & they do not do a kit for the supra don't know why as i feckon for £90 quid a set they would sell well.

I know that top secret do a set but they are £180

just wondered if any of you have any other idea who might do these at a reasonable price ??????????????

to big james the bonnet ones will be tiny in comparison .

tailgate weighs a ton as the bonnet is light

What do you mean too big?? Do you mean over kill? Im sure we have discussed it up at Turbofit once and decided they would work sat along the inside of the wing. As for over kill, just means they will stay up better if the wind really pics up :D

in length james, not as simple as it sounds .

if they are to strong you will bend the bonnet shutting it , they have to be adjusted to the correct pressure .

when i made the tailgate struts , mike sent me struts with nipples on them and they were over gassed .

after i fitted them , i couldt pull the tailgate down , so i let out the gas a bit at a time on each strut untill i could shut it , then sent them back to him , he then checked the pressure in the struts and made te replacements

I don't know but arn't they just over a foot long when closed up?

That was about the lenght that was on the rx7 that i saw last night + theres also a spare thread on the wing section of the supra near the top end where it could be bolted down to & the other side bolted on the bonnet hinge

I'm in the stages of trying to make a pair of struts fit aswell as brackets so that no additional drilling has to be done to the standard bonnet. I'm not sure on how an aftermarket would fit with the holes that i have used for this. If you could send a pic or maybe a few dimensions i could maybe modify.

ive been thinking of looking into it but it costs me to do all the working out and development , .

Is it via M S engineering?

If we had a firm number of people interested is it not possible for one of us (like me who lives 20 mins drive from them) to pop down and get them to look at it and get something specific made if it's worthwhile for them?

Tein did have plans to do them but pulled out. Top Secret do them as Lui has mentioned but very expensive.

The RX7 ones use stock holes for the mounting like the rear bonnet latch bolt holes.

If we can get some pictures of the TS struts for the Supra then that'll give us a good idea to copy them.

Alternatively one of us needs to get hold of some OEM ones like the GS300 bonnet struts and see if they can be used as a basis to order generic struts that can do the job.

I believe one or two members do have bonnet struts.....

I have the ability to do some machining but not a massive amount at the same time. If dimensions of product already made can be ontained i can copy or get a company that we deal with at work to sort out a price. As i say i have made brackets to fit the wing but have yet to design the brackets to fit the bonnet

I spoke to Mike at MS Engineering in Bedford who do the uprated boot lid struts/dampers. He was nice and helpful on the phone. He said it's best if I pop round and he will check the car out and hopefully he can make something up.

My problem is that during weekdays I work quite far away so I won't be able to see Mike as they work Mon-Friday. So would one of you guys, perhaps Lui, be able to go instead? Ideally if someone with a CF bonnet and someone with a stock bonnet were to go then Mike could look into making bonnet dampers that work on stock bonnets and good quality CF/Fibreglass bonnets. Also Lui knows how the Tein version is fitted on an RX-7 which has similar mounting points as the Supra so Lui will be able to give Mike ideas.

I'm sure the demand for these will be good.

MS Engineering details:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=40407

If there's intrest in the Tein ones i belive the guys at Knightracer have a good releationship with them and may be able to do a group buy.

Unfortunately Tein have dropped their plans for the Supra bonnet dampers

The aristo has bonnet struts would it not be possible to modify that system to fit the Supra ?

I already suggested the GS300 bonnet struts! lol!

Ta,

Ro

• 2 weeks later...

Just putting up a couple of pic's with the Top Secret bonnet dampers fitted to a supra & now trying to strike a deal with these as a group buy & will keep you all informed.

A little info about them too:

1. I have attached two pictures for you of one of our customer's cars in Japan. Though the color of the car could be more appealing in my opinion, it definitely gets the job done for your purpose.

2. The dampers are a straightforward install. One end mounts to the chassis, the other to the hinge for the bonnet.

3. There are two versions of the dampers. One for lightweight and one for standard bonnets.

These bonnet dampers are fitted to a Top Secret Carbon bonnet.

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/1910/p1050628qm7.jpg

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/6723/p1050630uo6.jpg