The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new fan belt for removing aircon pump?????

gsportcars

Hi guys I did a quick search but with no luck.

I have removed my aircon pump from my 2jz-gte engine and I need a shorter fan belt to suit.

As far as i know, all TT supras had aircon but I am not 100% sure.

Does anyone know if this is correct and if so is there an alternative fan belt that will fit the engine with the aircon pump removed?

I think I only need a belt that is about 2-3 inches shorteer than the standard one.

Help is much appreciated.

Gav.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this up from the dear as I have just removed my AC pump.

Is PK1865 a standard length fanbelt any motor accessory store might be able to supply or is it a Toyota part number? On another note, is it the same length on both on a VVTi-engine?

I will have to remove the fanbelt "tightener" damper in order for the fanbelt to not interfere with its mounting bracket. Will this lead to the fanbelt snapping easier, or other problems? The damper does not seem very strong, and if I remember correctly, non-VVTi engines does not have this damper.

All answers appreciated :D

Bringing this up from the dear as I have just removed my AC pump.

Is PK1865 a standard length fanbelt any motor accessory store might be able to supply or is it a Toyota part number? On another note, is it the same length on both on a VVTi-engine?

I will have to remove the fanbelt "tightener" damper in order for the fanbelt to not interfere with its mounting bracket. Will this lead to the fanbelt snapping easier, or other problems? The damper does not seem very strong, and if I remember correctly, non-VVTi engines does not have this damper.

All answers appreciated :D

Erm.

No, you cant really remove the belt tensioner ...

Will the fanbelt interfere with this due to its new routing?

what did bhave do for this?

I've been trying to figure out what you mean. Are you talking about the damper that looks like a mini shock absorber that is on manual Supra TTs?

If so, you can live without that OK. I'm still not clear why you would want to though.

I've been trying to figure out what you mean. Are you talking about the damper that looks like a mini shock absorber that is on manual Supra TTs?

If so, you can live without that OK. I'm still not clear why you would want to though.

Yes, I am thinking of this small shock absorber.

The reason why I want to remove this is because its lower mounting bracket interferes with the belt where it routes between the cranck pulley and PAS pulley.

I'll make an illustration and post here, back in 2 secs. :)

Thanks! I was thinking about cutting out a slice of the bracket, but I was afraid of it breaking over time. However, it's not much force in the damper, so I guess it will be ok. :)

Regarding the extra bracket you made up for the PAS pump - is this a bracket that goes from the bottom of the PAS pump to one of the AC pump mounts?

Edit: Saw your extra post. :)

Just remove the damper and it's lower bracket. It's not a necessity and is there to stop the belt shocking the tensioner if someone unused to manuals (an American? :)) changes down a gear VERY clumsily. Only difference in tensioner systems is early cars had an all metal tensioner pulley that can have the bearing renewed, later ones (probably all VVTi models) have a moulded plastic pulley, and the bearing can't be changed. they will interchange as a whole pulley though, either way., early to late style, or vice versa.

Just remove the damper and it's lower bracket. It's not a necessity and is there to stop the belt shocking the tensioner if someone unused to manuals (an American? :)) changes down a gear VERY clumsily. Only difference in tensioner systems is early cars had an all metal tensioner pulley that can have the bearing renewed, later ones (probably all VVTi models) have a moulded plastic pulley, and the bearing can't be changed. they will interchange as a whole pulley though, either way., early to late style, or vice versa.

Do you think this could cause premature belt wear Chris?

Im undecided on whether to do this mod on my engine rebuild, the aircon is going for sure as I dont need it, but Im in two minds at the minute

Has anyone run a car for a good amount of miles with the damper removed?

Do you think this could cause premature belt wear Chris?

Im undecided on whether to do this mod on my engine rebuild, the aircon is going for sure as I dont need it, but Im in two minds at the minute

Has anyone run a car for a good amount of miles with the damper removed?

It'll make no difference to belt wear, in fact, it *MAY* improve it as it has one less friction surface to run over, and one less direction change:) As a new belt is about the same price as 5 gallons of petrol it's hardly a disaster if it does shorten it's life a tad anyway, is it?

• 4 years later...