The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU help

Jonboy

Me and jake 'BPU'ed my j-spec 94 TT 6sp this afternoon, we fitted Whifbitz decats removing both cats, restrictor ring, Walbro pump, NGK BCPR7ES plugs gapped to 0.8mm and a HKS FCD but the car is not boosting anymore than it did before we started, roughly 0.7bar. it is not holding back or hitting any cuts or anything, just not producing anymore boost than standard! all pipes look ok, anyone got any ideas what could cause this?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's odd, I was getting more than .7bar before the decat and with rought exactly what you have I now get 1.2bar. In the hot weather it can be a tad less (say 1.1 or so but not that low)

what pressure do you get with just #1 turbo on?

have you tried it without the restrictor ring (since all cars are different and some don't need it or need a different size)

also, is your SMIC in good condition?

i think both turbos boost to roughly the same, the intercooler looks ok but obviously thats without taking it off the car, yeah me and Jake were just saying that we should try it without the ristrictor ring and see what happens.

JonBoy, i've just been doing a bit of searching and i think it could be your Zigen exhaust causing the problem. There are a number of threads saying how 'low key' it is noise wise and also a few mentioning the baffles going...

...maybe the system is too restrictive or is partial blocked, as i have heard of no boost gain if the stock system is still in place when you decat.........

...maybe the system is too restrictive or is partial blocked, as i have heard of no boost gain if the stock system is still in place when you decat.........

Is this true.. I am just about to double decat my TT but leaving the rest of the origional exhuast on. Is it too restrictive? ermmm..???

yes good point, reset the ecu and go for a run when it is cooler, you will need to give it a few full power runs and see if the boost comes up - mine was stuck around .9 - 1 bar until I reset the ecu.

if no good then step 2 is to try removing the restrictor...

Have you installed a bleeder 'T' on the wastegate control VSV or a boost controller (MBC or electronic)? Otherwise the ECU will activate the wastegate to not allow above about 0.8 BAR boost.

his car is a j-spec. These cars overboost because the smaller wastegates can't regulate the boost at the right level...

does it FEEL any different? just wondering whether it could be the boost meter that isn't read right?

be careful if you try it without the restrictor ring altogether, doesn't the HKS FCD leave you a little more susceptible if you over boost?

maybe just a very a small bit quicker but not the differance it should be, just more noisey, the turbos dont sound as though they are working anymore than before, the same whistling pitch if you know what i mean :)

I think the way to go is take the restrictor out and carefully see what happens.

JonBoy, i've just been doing a bit of searching and i think it could be your Zigen exhaust causing the problem. There are a number of threads saying how 'low key' it is noise wise and also a few mentioning the baffles going...

interesting... has anybody else had this trouble with 5zigen cat backs?

is the boost it does get to being maintained solidly? i wonder if there is a small leak that is stopping it from getting any higher? or a stuck wastegate / boost control valve / BOV if any of those would cause this type of behaviour?