The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing 02 sensor j-spec

mikeyb10supra

I put this up on Nic's Group buy thread:

Just to add, I changed the o2 sensor on my TT and it was one of the best thing I have done to the car as fuel economy improved greatly :) !

Here's a little guide to help you change it:

How to change:

Replacing the sensor is very easy. On my Jap pre-VVTI it's located just below the turbo on the downpipe.

The sensor comes with the lead attached and a new gasket.

New bolts (reccomended) T90179-08059. 79p (2 needed).

It may be easier if you take off the first/top Intercooler pipe and air intake pipe off.

There are 2 12mm(?) nuts holding it on. Slight pain to get to - bit of soaking in wd40 makes it easier to get them off. There are two push fit studs that clips the lead in place.

The one nearest to the turbo is easy to take out - pair of pliers to squeeze the prong. The other one is a bit of a PITA as you can't access the prongs of the studs. You may want to cut out/drill the stud if you want to re-use the hole. Or cut the plastic top bit to release the cable. The end of this cable is push fit fitting which attaches to the lead that goes to the ECU directly I think (??). Just disconnect this, near the actuator/fan area.

To fit the new sensor, just reverse the process. It's probably worth re-setting the ECU after this (Pull out the two Green 30 Amp EFI fuses for 30 seconds)

Ro

Just to add some minor detail to the excellent info above.

it IS a 12mm socket - You may find you need a deep socket if like me you have an el-cheapo socket set.

Make sure you get the old gasket off, I ended up easing it off with a flat bladeed screwdriver, but be very careful that you don't score the face under the gasket!

My gasket was very old/worn and left some material on the down pipe, I used a damp soft scourer to remove it.

HTH

Assuming TT

J-SPec

-------

1 X O2 Sensor

1 X Post Cat Termo coupling

UK-SPec

-------

1 X O2 Sensor

2 X Post Cat Termo coupling , 1 in 1st and one in 2nd cat.

According to the EPC the UK Supra has 2 oxygen sensors; front and rear.

The NA Supra also has 2 oxygen sensors.

Picture 2.png

Picture 1.png