The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will this work with a VVTi Supra?

Jake

I don't think it'll work. It says

Port: 16-pin OBDII Standard Socket

but looking at the diag socket on the car it's got more than 16 pin sockets and they're in three rows.

Bugger. Suppose I'll have to get the Vaseline out and take the car to Toyota :(

Well, I've wondered this myself, and I've looked into OBDII stuff... from my recollection, it is only a few wires... a K-Line and an L-Line, which 'in theory' should provide the right codes for an ODBII system provided the wiring matches...

I'm going to have a go using something like the VAGcom OBDII and then linking it into my car pc...but that is a while off.

http://www.planetfall.com/~jeff/obdii/

The Blitz R-VIT works Jake, or at least it appears to give fault codes for the vvti
I've just read the specs on that, looks very useful. How useful would it be in real life? Is it worth the cost is all Jake wants is the error code, or is it going to be of a lot more use than just that?

I always fancied the R-VIT, I must be honest, and spoke to Terry a few times about it, since he recommended it.

However, I'm still keen on finding a bit of hardware that works for the PC, then with the list of above error codes and the other info you can get off OBDII integrate it into the carp.

I guess I'll have to hurry up with it and get it working...

Guest Terry S

The R-VIT works really well, PnP too. Great piece of kit, sold mine when I went F-Con and have always regretted it because it can give some really good info for tuning.

Have you fixed the cam timing yet Jake?

I wouldn't be surprised if it threw an error code being fully advanced all the time

Yes Geoff. I was doing it wrong. The way Terry said is the correct method.

I reset the ECU a couple of times but the error light comes back on about 3 secs after starting the engine. I just wish I knew what error it's trying to warn me about.

Sadly, I won't have my solution ready for a while, but I'll see if I can find something...

The other option is, find a nice garage that will come out with their OBDII scanner, but make sure they have a VPW connection...

Mind you, if you are handy with a circuit board, you could build one in a few days...

Tempted to get the curcuit board in the previous post screened and make one..

http://www.opendiag.org/ Almost forgot about this lot..

Guest Terry S
Yes Geoff. I was doing it wrong. The way Terry said is the correct method.

I reset the ECU a couple of times but the error light comes back on about 3 secs after starting the engine. I just wish I knew what error it's trying to warn me about.

Not wanting to scare you bud, but you do have oil pressure.

Not wanting to scare you bud, but you do have oil pressure.
Well, the oil pressure warning light is working, I mean that it comes on with all the others when you first turn the ignition on - before you start the engine. That means I have oil pressure doesn't it? How else would I tell?

When I start the engine all the lights go out by then after a few seconds the red triangle and the yellow engine light come on. (Not oil pressure or oil level lights though)