The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Installing A Fan On My Tranny Coolers

terribleturner

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done this, well almost... Fitted a 96mm spal fan to oil cooler and with the help of "Paul Mac" have sorted out a small temp sensor, which is to be located on the oil feed to the cooler. At 85 degrees the fan turns on....

This was all wired up, but Paul and I had a problem with we got the wrong sensor, it was closed till 85 then open circuit. So Paul is ordering 2 more. The gent very kindly gave me the other sensor has they come in pairs.

It was wired up from the battery with an inline fuse, to the sensor, and ground was used used for the switch.

Just waiting for a new sensor.

Paul Mac is the man to ask, if you have any further questions

Simon

Yeah i thought about hooking it up to the other fan there but wanted to see what else was available.

Like that in-line thermostat, may see if i can get one in the UK.

Yes we have done two of these and the tranny does need to be thermal coupled and controlled.

So i cant just wire it up to the other fan..? and have it running all the time..? thought if the fan ran all the time while the engine was running it would be ok..?

I guess you don't want the fluid too cool. The standard trans cooler is in the rad, so I suppose it can also be a "warmer". Don't know if you need to go as far as having a thermostatically-controlled bypass for the trans cooler, though.

Gareth, yeah the standard cooler is in the rad but the UK specs have an additional cooler in the wheel arch, this is what i would be looking to replace, so this would be in direct air flow anyway, so dont think have a fan on all the time the engine is running is gonna make much difference. So will go the same way as b'have and run it in series with the stock fan.

after trawling for hours and much deliberation i have gone for a stat that switchs at 70 degress (its on its way Simon) i remember an old thread by Dude (bless him) where he was adament the lower the temp the better (within reason) after having a temp gauge on the trans fluid for a while now i have come to this conclusion as well, i think a stat that comes in at the 85-95 range is to high, if you have a gauge on the fluid you will see the gearbox builds heat very quickly when your giving it some so by the time a fan kicked in at 85-95 © its to late and the temp will overshoot considerably probably as high as 110-130+ (way to hot) therefore i've gone for the lower temp of 70 degrees, i cant stress how rapid the gearbox heats up, when i switch the fan on (manual controll at the moment) it will take 10 minutes plus to bring it back down, on my T61 i am fitting another cooler as the MVP one isn't up to it on its own in the summer, optimum auto trans temp 50-70 ©, the first thing to do is defo get a gauge so you know whats going on

Nice one Paul, have you got a link for that stat?? Also where abouts have you installed the temp sensor for the trans?? And finally, if im installing 2 auto coolers should i get fans for both??

The stat is from RS components part number 331-540 (60C gives about a 80C switch point), these are surface mount stats speak to psymon he may post up a pick of the stat mounted, the logical best place to mount would be on the incoming (hot) side of the cooler, 2 fans now theres a though you could wire em seperate and have one coming on at 70 and the next at 75, if moneys no object 2 fans would be great but you could just install one for now and see how it goes

Edited by paul mac
tidy up (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...