The mkiv Supra Owners Club

clutch slip???

black cat

Hi Guys,

I recently had my slipping STOCK clutch replaced by a Toyota UK sourced clutch, but the car feels sort of whimpish, any one experience this sort of castration on their RZ-TT? Please help as I miss the urge and the kick from the old clutch :(

If the stock flywheel needs replacing .. then no more than £350. You'll get one cheaper - if you go through Steve Manley from Kidlington Toyota.

Mine was from Kidlington - but that was before ..Steve Manley was about.

Clutch .. not sure about a stock one. But my RPS street sport was £450

was that including fitting??? ouch!

I paid £150 for labour, the thing was there was nothing wrong with my clutch at the time, it was the release bearing that went so i decided to replace all the bits while the box was dropped rather than having it dropped again at a later date and paying more labour.

yes I think you have clutch slip if your revs initially build-up and then return to a sensible level. Normally, you should notice your self being propelled forwards in proportion to the revs your dial-in with your right foot. If the revs run up and return to a lower reading whilst you were still accelerating, then you most probably have a Slipping Clutch and it suppose it would be prudent to have it diagnosed asap, before it eats your flywheel.

Check out the Guys at Phoenix in Watford.

yes I think you have clutch slip if your revs initially build-up and then return to a sensible level. Normally, you should notice your self being propelled forwards in proportion to the revs your dial-in with your right foot. If the revs run up and return to a lower reading whilst you were still accelerating, then you most probably have a Slipping Clutch and it suppose it would be prudent to have it diagnosed asap, before it eats your flywheel.

Check out the Guys at Phoenix in Watford.

Jesus mate, where you been at?!!

Anyway, what you said is correct. Another symptom is slipping when on high boost. Mine didn’t slip when changing, but when coming on boost at motorway speeds, the rpm shot to redline and didn’t come down unless I take my foot off the accelerator.

Needed a new clutch (stock), flywheel (Southbend), release bearing, pressure plate and slave cylinder... inc fitting it was well over £1k.

test it on motorway mate, 4th gear 4500rmp floor it and see what happens

in a high gear mine for asplit second revs go to about 5000 and then car launches forward as normal. it all happens so fast second or may be less.

feels like your wheels brake traction. iam hoping that it still may be this. it was pritty shitty on the roads last time i was out but i thought it was dry..... so i fear the worst.:(

Guest Bijal

Steve, i forgot to mention to you yesterday when we spoke:

when you guys are trying to check this ensure you have traction control switched off. if the traction control is on then a hesitation like this can happen, so you would want to eliminate that to start with.

bijal

:)

Steve, i forgot to mention to you yesterday when we spoke:

when you guys are trying to check this ensure you have traction control switched off. if the traction control is on then a hesitation like this can happen, so you would want to eliminate that to start with.

bijal

:)

The stock traction control wouldn't stop it revving tho - it would just cut power completely.

As far as I understand - his problem is that. He accelerates hard ... the revs climb - there is a momentary loss in drive because the friction material in his clutch is worn .. then the clutch begins to bites/grips the flywheel ... which causes the car to lurch forward.

Guest Bijal
The stock traction control wouldn't stop it revving tho - it would just cut power completely.

As far as I understand - his problem is that. He accelerates hard ... the revs climb - there is a momentary loss in drive because the friction material in his clutch is worn .. then the clutch begins to bites/grips the flywheel ... which causes the car to lurch forward.

it would only cut power completly if the ecu detects excesive wheel spin, and in a higher gear and motorway speeds the possibilty on excesive wheels spin on BPU like steve's car would be minimum. however, would be slight there but not enough to cut revs, hence the hesitation.

regardless, during ANY diognostics the theory of eliminating easy and cost effective method(s) are crucial to saving excesive and un-needed costs of finding out the specific problem(s), hence, switching it off.

stevo, just give me a shout when you feel like popping out for spin and we'll meet up. will take a look at it for ya (an excuse for the both of us to take the sups out) LOL!

Guest Bijal
I thought that was the only thing the stock traction could do ?!

nope, the stock MKIV supra (certainly the turbo model) traction control system is far more advanced that some people give it credit, in other words, its like it has its own brain (which it does, a seperate ecu).

i have experianced the stock TRC system cut revs totaly and also allow for very minor wheel spin, its been dependent on what speed, what revs, what loads, how much power the car was producing etc etc.

its a wierd system, put it that way!!! :)

nope, the stock MKIV supra (certainly the turbo model) traction control system is far more advanced that some people give it credit, in other words, its like it has its own brain (which it does, a seperate ecu).

i have experianced the stock TRC system cut revs totaly and also allow for very minor wheel spin, its been dependent on what speed, what revs, what loads, how much power the car was producing etc etc.

its a wierd system, put it that way!!! :)

That's my experience of it too. It's amazing how much more easily the car pulls if I turn the stock T/C off.

Can't wait to fit the RLTC by my side here :thumbs: