The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A to TT Conversion

Guest TTkeith

Guest TTkeith

Hi, as many of you may already know I bought Supra RZ old car off him, only to go and bounce it off a lamp post a few days later...

As cash is a bit tight right now I am thinking of buying a N/A manual Supra to get about in and strip my TT down for parts etc and put the engine etc into the N/A eventually.

Anyway what I would like to know is if anyone has carried out this conversion before of know of anyone that has done it, and if so what are the main problems in doing it.

Will the TT engine simply fit onto the N/A 5 speed box? Obviously I'd be uprating the clutch etc.

Again with the wiring, would it be a complete re-wire or simply a mix and match for the turbo ECU?

K.

Will the TT engine simply fit onto the N/A 5 speed box? Obviously I'd be uprating the clutch etc.

Again with the wiring, would it be a complete re-wire or simply a mix and match for the turbo ECU?

K.

Yes the gearbox will fit the TT engine.

Only the ECU wires have to be re-done. you do not have to re wire the complete car.

Guest TTkeith

Ok, thanks for letting me know.

Is it a simple as that tho? My car has had a front impact so the radiator etc. has gone, is the N/A item upto the job or is that amongst other things gonig to have to be swaped over aswell?

K.

Gavan (tdaxgav) converted an auto NA to a single turbo about a year ago, starting with a VVTi TT engine dropped into the NA body. I know this is somewhat different to what you're intending to do, but it's the only example I can think off of the top of my head. I think one or two other people may have done NA to TT, but I can't think who.

From what people have said, I don't think it's cheap or trivial. If you're keen on spannerwork, then it could be a fun project, but I wouldn't do it if you hate being in the engine bay of a car.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Edit: oh, and welcome, BTW!

He did an NA to single turbo.....and started with a VVTi TT engine?

Do you mean he then changed the TT into a single T?

Absolutely. Started with an NA, then converted it to a VVTi TT (just an intermediate stage, I don't think he ran it like that), then converted that to a VVTi single T.

I am a bit confussed with the ideas of turbos having never had a turbo car myself yet. If I got a single turbo kit for my NA, would that be as good as a TT that had been converted to single T?

Obiously the VVTi is better, but how about a non VVTi TT converted to single T compared to an NA converted to single T.

Another question...sorry to be dumb...an NA woth a single turbo bolted on, is this as tuneable as a basic TT?

God, that's a complex question!!

A TT block is not quite the same as the NA block, with almost identical components, and can be made to run very similar power with forced induction. However, the drivetrain and gearbox on the NA will probably get lunched pretty quickly if you stick a big single turbo on the engine.

As far as overall tunability goes, they are both the same really - there are currently more off-the-shelf parts/kits for the TT, but with the rise and rise of companies like Boostlogic and Boostwerx, the NA is getting more and more kits to play with.

The mechanicals are one thing, but the electronics play a crucial role when doing major conversions like this - a good ECU replacement and a quality map will probably give you more to work with than choosing VVTI over non-VVTI.

OK I am just about to buy a na aero and fit my uk tt manual engine and gearbox into it. I do have a complete car as a donor (my poor bent uk turbo). I am fairly sure the shells are the same and I will be using the entire loom and running gear from my old car as well!