The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quicker autobox changes...

bedlam

Hi All

I am not sure how good the Supra box changes,but if it is like the soarer which it nearly is then it aint that quick at changing...

we did a couple of mods to our box a month ago and it has transformed the box..

We have now done the walkthrough on this and have posted it here...

http://www.jkwebdesign.net/lsocbb/viewtopic.php?p=18203#18203

So if you feel that it would help the supra box then please enjoy.

Andy

if you switch off TC the gear changes are quicker.

If you pull the TC fuse they are quicker still

...plus they are measurably quicker in 'manual' mode.

Pull the TC fuse and your box will last about 1000 miles.

The stock ECU goes to great lengths to protect the Box from damage, with the ignition retard and TRAC throttle body doing most if it.

Seriously, remove the TRAC fuse and you WILL be buying a new box shortly on full throttle changes.

not being funny...never heard that statement before. Do you have any proof or examples of people who have had that problem?

Theres probably a fair few people on the BBS with RLTC who have removed the trac fuse to stop it getting in the way and if theres a known problem with the autobox and removal of TC fuse its probably worth discussing it here..

JB

All I can say is BIZZARR, as I have has 2 customers, and myself all have done the same, and have all wrecked the Clutches.

Just the Luck of the draw I suppose!

Thought the auto didn't have a clutch:eek:

You are talking about autos aren't you?????

Altering the spring pressure on the accumulators is a well known method of making the box change quicker/harder.

Years ago on the Chrysler Torqueflite 727, we used to block the accumulator completely with a steel bar. It certainly made the 1-2 shift harder, although 2-3 was always still a bit soft as it was a clutch change, not a band one.

I'd advise caution with turning the pressure up too much, but a small tweak will probably be OK.

if you switch off TC the gear changes are quicker.

If you pull the TC fuse they are quicker still

...plus they are measurably quicker in 'manual' mode.

Pulling the TC fuse means its in manual mode anyway...please correct me if i am wrong!

Geoff

You are dead right about turning up the pressure to much but the pressure regulator has 3 settings which is prob because they used the A340 box in diff cars, and would have altered the pressure accordingly.

We have just advised anyone who does this modification to the box to use the dial on the regulator, which allows anyone to turn up the pressure to the top level, you could put a small shim inside the regulator, but like you say you could then blow the seals inside the box.

And we do both accumulators as your right 2nd to 3rd is the slowest change,we have another one a friend is going to do and he will use larger shims in the 2nd to 3rd change to see how it goes, and yes the solid bar is a know trick as well :).

b'have

Thanks sir, we just like to pass out the info, but like i said on the walkthrough, it was NOT my mod, it was Jared in the states who got together with a top Toyota box guy and they came up with the simplest way to modify the box and cure some farting you can get from them when you go with big power due to the timing being pulled as the box is changing so slowly.

I don't know if you mentioned it or not in either thread Andy but I would recommend running an aftermarket transmission cooler with this mod.

Nice job anyway... I would be interested to know what modifications that MV Autos did to my valve body along with the accumulator spring mod. I might ask over on the Oz forum... ;)

Joe

They wont say what they do ;), lots have tried to find out but no one has yet posted what it is they actually do..i have a good idea well a friend does but this is good enough to save buying the shifter kit.

But i guess thats a chocie people make on there own :).

Andy

PS

yes if you do this mod it is ALWAYS better to add a transmission cooler.

Nice job anyway... I would be interested to know what modifications that MV Autos did to my valve body along with the accumulator spring mod. I might ask over on the Oz forum... ;)

Me too, autobox mods seem to be a black art here.Remember Dude saying he knew a good auto guy who was looking at upgrades.

Joe,

I sent my MV Autos shift kit up to Andy for him to 'play' with. He said that there is no gasket in it any more and that he didnt want to split it open to find out what they have done to it.

Dean is now sending me the kit back with Andy's mod kit as well and I will be fitting both and running tests on it to see if there is a difference.

I have an acelorometer and will be using that to time 0-60 and quarters with no mods, then with Andys mod, then with MV's mod.

I think I will stay with MV's mod, not because it will be any better or not, but simply cos I spent £300 on it! And if I sold it I wouldnt feel right selling it to someone knowing there was a mod out there just as good for a fiver.