The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost Controller and \ or restrictor ring

monkey3

If you have a boost controller, then surely you don't need a restrictor ring in the exhaust also?

or am I just being :stupid: ?

if the stock CAts are both in place then no you will not need a restrictor ring, but I would'nt advise using a boost controller without dumping the CATS as you will make the turbos work against a much greater resistance, which will prob screw them quicker

ok, here's the thing...

I know my car's got a boost controller, and I'm pretty sure it's been de-catted (don't know for sure as I haven't had a look underneath it yet - I'll be seeing it again thursday). However, I'll need to take the exhaust apart to see if it's got a ring installed, wont I?

So if a boost controller can't lower boost, what can it do?

I thought it did exactly what it said on the tin.

:dumbass:

ok, here's the thing...

I know my car's got a boost controller, and I'm pretty sure it's been de-catted (don't know for sure as I haven't had a look underneath it yet - I'll be seeing it again thursday). However, I'll need to take the exhaust apart to see if it's got a ring installed, wont I?

Thats where the restrictor ring comes in you can restrict the boost with the ring and increase it with the boost controller

Boost controllers increase boost only. The restrictor ring limits boost to 1-1.2 bar depending on where it's from etc. Most j-spec BPU cars don't bother with a boost controller AFAIK, only if they wanna push 1.2 bar.

A UK spec would need a boost controller because the wastegates bigger so the boost doesn't increase when decatted

ok, here's the thing...

Do you know what max boost you running? Do you have a boost gauge fitted? The max you want to be running is 1.1-1.2bar. So simple thing would be to test drive the car and see what boost you're making (be careful if you see it going above 1.2bar) if it's less, say 0.9bar then a boost controller will help raise boost. If it is over 1.2 bar then you will need to fit a restrictor ring to reduce max boost level. If it is around 1.1-1.2bar then you don't need either.

:thanks: nic, but it has already got an apexi boost controller, but it had to be taken out for the sva, however it should be back in for thursday and I will hopefully get to take it out again, so I'll check the max boost and let you know what it is.

I'll also try to have a look to see exactly what other mods it has.

is it possible to tell from the outside whether it has a restrictor ring?

Everything everyone else said is correct, but just to add:

You really should find out if you've got any cats in before fitting the boost controller, you don't want to end up with 1.2bar and the cats still there. Can you post any pics of the underside of the car and one looking down the turbo side of the engine bay?

If you are considering raising boost beyond stock levels then make sure you do the other required mods too (I'm sure you're aware of this, but not everyone realises other mods are needed first!)

is it possible to tell from the outside whether it has a restrictor ring?

Not really, the restrictor ring would look like a gasket from the outside. Plus I've never heard of a Jap car coming over with one fitted.

When I was BPU, I considered fitting a restrictor ring to limit boost to 1 Bar .. then using a Ebc to raise the boost between 1 Bar (minimum) and the 1.2 Bar maximum.

Just never got around to doing it. I wish I'd done it now - having gone single.

I want to do this on mine - 1 bar for day to day use (easy on the turbos) and 1.2 bar for sport.

Only problem is all the restrictor ring seem to be for 1.2 bar. I could probably make some if anyone knows what thickness the ring needs to be and what size hole?

I want to do this on mine - 1 bar for day to day use (easy on the turbos) and 1.2 bar for sport.

Only problem is all the restrictor ring seem to be for 1.2 bar. I could probably make some if anyone knows what thickness the ring needs to be and what size hole?

Contact Chris Wilson, he should be able to supply you with one.

OK, so other upgrades before increasing boost...

I'm quite sure it has had the cats removed as it has a non-standard exhaust and a very deep throbby note, but I'll have a look tomorrow anyway.

As far as boost gauges go, it has the standard one and doesn't a boost controller have one built in?

btw I'm not actually intending on turning the boost up (or even coming on boost heavy at all) to begin with anyway :)

a fuel cut defender will stop the car overboosting anyway wont it? (admittedley not something to rely on)

And the spark plugs I'll have to check as well.

Nic, thanx for the pics :)

Homer, if someone has had a boost controller fitted and the cats removed isn't it more likely that they would have fitted a ring? (assuming they're not :stupid: ) how bad would it be not to do this? I'll take some pics tomorrow when I go to see the car again. :ecstatic:

thanx for all your help guys.

I don't wanna go blowing the car up the day I get it :eek:

I still struggle with this restrictor ring thing. :(

When my car was BPU, I had one of these things fitted and also had a TTC switch fitted. When I ran in TTC the boost went up to 1.5 bar and frightened me to death. I couldnt understand that as the BC wasn't set to anything like that so I put it down to peaking. I then decided to lower the BC and guess what? 1.5 bar!

I then decided to turn the BC off completely and let the restrictor ring do its thing and guess what? Yes, 1.5 bar again. So, my question was / is, how the feck did that happen? If the BC is off and the restrictor ring set for 1.2 bar, how did I get to 1.5?

At the time nobody could answer and the question just faded away.