The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheels studs and bearing question

garetheves

Need to replace my rear wheel studs (Bolt bit that the wheel actually attaches to) and when we came to do it last weekend it didnt look like we could do it without dismantling the entire hub and therefore removing the Wheel Bearing. Is this the case because ive heard that the bearing will not come out in 1 piece and will therefore need replacing, and dont really fancy forking out Toyota prices for a new one. Gonna try CJs contact tomorrow to see if hes any cheaper but wondering if anyone has done this and knows whether its possible to change the studs without removing/damaging the rear wheel bearing.

Any help much appreciated.

I know but never got round to doing it. Managed to do the front ones the other weekend no probs but when it came to the back ones it looked like we were going to need to take the hub apart.

So after taking the calliper and disk off what do you then?

Did you not damage your bearing at all?

I bought a ball joint separation tool from Machine Mart - £8, you might need to file the fork bit to open it up slightly so the stud will pass through

Similar to this:

Squeezed them out, this will not damage the bearing.

Rotate the hub so the stud you want to remove is at the rear, it was very easy.

I've got the UK brakes.

When I first considered doing this I removed the wheel to have a look and I didn't think it was possible either, thought I would have to remove the hub aswell.

I read on Supraforums that it was possible though, all will become clear when you remove the disc. It was very easy with plenty of clearance.

Remove the brake disc

I rotated the hub so the stud was at the rear.

Squeezed out the stud, plenty of room.