The mkiv Supra Owners Club

removing wheel studs

garetheves

I wouldnt imagine its an easy job mate. You need to press them out really... Maybe worth trying to find a engineers that are open and get them to do it.....

Or, you can try hammering them out :p

I think you need to take the disks and calipers and hubs off to do a proper job though.

I need to replace all of my wheel studs (the bolts that come through the brakes and wheels that the wheel nuts attach to). Has anyone done this and can give any pointers on how to do it?? Do you need to remove the brakes?? Is it an easy job??

I snapped one a while back and needed to replace it.

Its a absolute piece of piss. They are just pushed in so just push them back out with a hammer !

If you've got a new bolt you'll see that around the base of the bolt there are groves, when you push the new bolts in the holes the grove stopped it coming out again.

Getting them out is easy, putting the new ones can be a bit fiddly if you can't get the brake disk off. The disk should just fall off once you've unbolted the brake calipar (2 x bolts at the back) as the wheel holds it all together.

Mine was stuck on so i had to get my fingers through the gaps in the metal shield. You'll know what i'm taking about when you see it.

Beware your hands will be black by the end of it so when you go to wash your hands remember to leave your door key in the door and not in your pocket !!!

Just finished doing all of mine on Wednesday, I put longer ones in. With the original ones in place the nut was only holding on about 5mm. With the new ones it's almost a full 25mm.

You have to remove the calipers and brake discs, don't be surprised to find the caliper bolts extremely tight.The front ones on my UK brakes were almost impossibly tight!

You can knock them out with a hammer but I wouldn't recommend it as it won't do your wheel bearings any good.

I used a slightly modified ball joint separator to squeeze them out, here's a pic.

The fork bit has to be opened up a liitle to fit over the stud.The studs are slightly too long to be a good fit in this tool so I cut about 8mm off them with my angle grinder and they then squeezed out very nicely.

To pull them in I put them through the hub and then placed a snuggly fitting steel collar over them(about 30mm dia and 20mm deep), this will help you align them squarely before you pull them in with an old nut(good thread though).

Not sure which studs you're using but the ones I bought from Trackstore were extremely tight, I actually sheared one off when pulling it in.

I had the spline on the stud machined down from 14.35mm to 14.05mm and they were a lovely fit.

When I pulled them I used my torque wrench , I wanted to make sure I didn't over stress them which would lead to premature failure.

I set the torque wrench to 80 llbsft and pulled them, the wrench clicked and they were fully seated.

Like I said I don't know what studs you're using so it's best to be aware that they could be too tight!

Anything else, just ask! ;)

cheers for replies guys. Given up in the end cos couldnt get the calliper bolts off for love nor money (only on a scissor jack and stands so couldnt get leverage). Im changing to UK brakes in a few weeks so will get it on a propper ramp, with more man power, and will give it another go. At least ive got the parts now.

cheers for replies guys. Given up in the end cos couldnt get the calliper bolts off for love nor money (only on a scissor jack and stands so couldnt get leverage). Im changing to UK brakes in a few weeks so will get it on a propper ramp, with more man power, and will give it another go. At least ive got the parts now.

i know how you feel about the poxy bolts ! i used a whole can of WD40 and got right underneath the arch to really put some weight behind it then suddenly....WHACK ! it come loose and there goes my knuckles. i wanted to cry. :violin:

• 1 month later...