The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whats The Difference Between J Spec And Uk Turbo's

mikeyh

J spec turbo's are ceramic and slightly smaller. Uk turbo's are steel and, well, bigger.! J specs cant really handle over 1.2 ish bar. The ceramic blades shatter. Can be swapped straight over i believe. However, uk engines ran 540cc injectors too, so putting uk turbs on j spec, you would need to upgrade fueling.

J spec turbo's are ceramic and slightly smaller. Uk turbo's are steel and, well, bigger.! J specs cant really handle over 1.2 ish bar. The ceramic blades shatter. Can be swapped straight over i believe. However, uk engines ran 540cc injectors too, so putting uk turbs on j spec, you would need to upgrade fueling.

i have uprated fuel pump but not injectors will they need upgrading to handle the uk turbos?

That’s not quite right mate: thought the UK are steel and the Jap ones ceramic, the jspec is bigger diameter wise than the UK Spec. The UK has a larger scroll area so can provide more power (therefore has slightly more lag). At least thats what I understand from the experts here. Branners made a post with pictures of the turbines side by side, but I can't find the thread now.

i have uprated fuel pump but not injectors will they need upgrading to handle the uk turbos?

Mikey, you cannot do a straight swap with UK turbo's into a Jap car, you will need the UK manifold and many other ancillary parts. Cost wise its not worthwhile at all.

That’s not quite right mate: thought the UK are steel and the Jap ones ceramic, the jspec is bigger diameter wise than the UK Spec. The UK has a larger scroll area so can provide more power (therefore has slightly more lag). At least thats what I understand from the experts here. Branners made a post with pictures of the turbines side by side, but I can't find the thread now.

On the first picture UK is on the right, so they are bigger and :)

It didnt say it in that thread. I was just pointing out the bigger uk turbine blades. I was going on past experience on selling a set of uk turbs for a jap car. I must have sold the manifolds with it, cos i cant find them!

dont for get, the down pipe is also different... has different flange to join to first cat too

Correct about manifolds, just had a look. Cant say i've ever driven a uk car. Is there really that much difference??

Re-read branners post, sorry I got that wrong. Somehow for the last 18 months I thought the first post was correct. Branners, please edit you post mate!! ;)

Yes. Jspec spools up faster with slightly lower peak power, UK spec has higher peak power but is noticeably slower to spool. For a day to day driver I would the have the Jspec.... especially with the decat and the almost instant spool time.